Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can find pictures of similar, but not quite the same. It has traces of silver plate on it, and has a scrolled edge, unlike the ones that I see on Google. The same site turned up a Great Seal button, which I understand is 1902 or newer (Scovill Mf'g Co Waterbury), although that may or may not be related. The house shows up on an 1880 map in Minnesota.

Looking for specific information about the scabbard tip. Thanks!

Oops! Forgot the photo!

AM4nGkW.jpg O4d7A41.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
92 views and no opinions?

By the way, what I meant by the "scrolled edge" is that the open end, rather than being cut straight, is cut like "}"

Upvote 0

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really wish I could help that is a cool piece Ill bump it hope you get an Id

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Iron Buzz wrote:
> 92 views and no opinions?

Because I don't know for CERTAIN what kind of bayonet scabbard-tip it is, I didn't reply. I was hoping somebody would speak up who IS certain about its ID. But, since you're bumping your post because nobody has replied, I'll speak up to tell you what I do know.

Y'all please keep in mind, my "Primary" area of relic knowledge is civil war era metal items. I don't know items from earlier time-periods nearly so well.

> By the way, what I meant by the "scrolled edge" is that the open end, rather than being cut straight, is cut like "}"

I knew what you meant. The only civil war era bayonet scabbard tip I know of which has a scrolled edge is a British Enfield scabbard-tip. But yours isn't the civil war era version. Perhaps it is an earlier version of Enfield bayonet scabbard-tip.

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also remained quiet due to not recognizing it... also did a few quick searches on what I thought it might be from but was incorrect.

I will throw ya a bone though for you to chew on...

Many if not most refer to these as a "tip"... when in fact they have a name... the name is "chape".

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Iron Buzz wrote:
> 92 views and no opinions?

Because I don't know for CERTAIN what kind of bayonet scabbard-tip it is, I didn't reply. I was hoping somebody would speak up who IS certain about its ID. But, since you're bumping your post because nobody has replied, I'll speak up to tell you what I do know.

Y'all please keep in mind, my "Primary" area of relic knowledge is civil war era metal items. I don't know items from earlier time-periods nearly so well.

> By the way, what I meant by the "scrolled edge" is that the open end, rather than being cut straight, is cut like "}"

I knew what you meant. The only civil war era bayonet scabbard tip I know of which has a scrolled edge is a British Enfield scabbard-tip. But yours isn't the civil war era version. Perhaps it is an earlier version of Enfield bayonet scabbard-tip.

Thanks for a response, even if it wasn't a definite ID. I appreciate it. Yeah, I saw the British Enfield in my searches too. Not exactly the same sort of design on the edge, but closer than the US ones that I've seen, which have all been a simple straight cut.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I also remained quiet due to not recognizing it... also did a few quick searches on what I thought it might be from but was incorrect.

Many if not most refer to these as a "tip"... when in fact they have a name... the name is "chape".

That may be helpful in my searches. Thanks!!

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a late 18th C dagger chape to me.

Upvote 0

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just saw this , so .....all I can say is does look like one (Scabbard Tip ) Crazy that I have never dug one or one .

If I had to say yes or no ; I'd say yes but like the others can not give a Mfg , or use date.

It's still a cool piece.

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to use the right terminology for searches, its a 'scabbard chape'.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Take a look at German hunting association and Luftwaffe dress daggers from the 1930's.

I didn't see an exact match but saw several with that sort of scalloped top and acorn finial on the chape.

413.jpg

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That may be helpful in my searches. Thanks!!

... :/

Upvote 0

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

"I got a fancy pimpin tip to the blade holder on my hip " Yes I a Rapper .

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Take a look at German hunting association and Luftwaffe dress daggers from the 1930's.

I didn't see an exact match but saw several with that sort of scalloped top and acorn finial on the chape.

View attachment 1696432

Yeah, that's getting close.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a late 18th C dagger chape to me.

Doubtful here in Minnesota, but still a possible heirloom brought to the area by the settler.

I learned recently that the settler was named Gallagher, born 1809 in Ireland.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, that's getting close.

I took one last look at this again this morning and got a little closer.

Possibly from a WWII era Weimar Police dress bayonet. I'm guessing bayonet because it has the 'classic bend' in it from someone sitting down while wearing it and jamming the end into the floor or ground. As a Civil War reenactor I've seen this (and done this) many, many times...

I can't find a police scabbard with the decorative lines around it, though. The only chapes with those lines are pre-WWII NSFK daggers and they all seems to have straight tops.

35418.jpg

These are modeled on early Mauser 98 bayonets.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I took one last look at this again this morning and got a little closer.

Possibly from a WWII era Weimar Police dress bayonet. I'm guessing bayonet because it has the 'classic bend' in it from someone sitting down while wearing it and jamming the end into the floor or ground. As a Civil War reenactor I've seen this (and done this) many, many times...

I can't find a police scabbard with the decorative lines around it, though. The only chapes with those lines are pre-WWII NSFK daggers and they all seems to have straight tops.

View attachment 1696781

These are modeled on early Mauser 98 bayonets.

Sure enough! It has exactly the correct edge on it. But (as I'm sure you are aware) the finial doesn't match.

Besides... I want mine to be a lot older than that :tongue3:

Upvote 0

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just saw this , so .....all I can say is does look like one (Scabbard Tip ) Crazy that I have never dug one or one .

If I had to say yes or no ; I'd say yes but like the others can not give a Mfg , or use date.

It's still a cool piece.

Funny ..
I did get my first back in May , it's very similar to yours , I can not recall if its 'strait cut ' it is triangular % has 3 small holes for attachment .

I was told from my description that it was likely off an Enfield , Scabbard or Chape.

That said IMO yours is a Chape type tho I see no attachment holes .???

I'm learning as we go like everyone.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread