Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it goes off the Delaware coast, even half close, I'll go but as you all know I do not go in the water. I don't take chances with storms. Too many close calls when I haven't been challenging the weather!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now imagine the idiot on a sailboat who will be a meteorite lol

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The new Bugatti can hit 300mph...

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to a bay beach today. I'll post after the mandatory happy nap! I was able to detect FOUR HOURS which is the most I've been able to do all year.

This is in Maryland. The storm has clouds overhead, down the bay where I was the waves had taken off a foot of sand, exposed some rocks where I got a boat load of sinkers.

I went to a lesser used part of the beach and got some coin spills and more 14k gold. Will post later. Nap time. I can't hardly move. STAY SAFE.

At no time was I in any kind of danger. Coast guard was patrolling and police were parked in two parking lots. Very few people there. Winds 20 mph out of the northeast.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad I'm on the West coast, far away from Dorian (and Trump, who said Dorian will not impact Alabama).

Treasure hunters are usually pretty intelligent people with common sense, so most are Trump supporters - Not smart to offend the community.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trump was right. Alabama was not impacted. Those first few days one of the projections had it crossing Florida and going into the Gulf, were Alabama would have been impacted to some extent.

Billieg

Jul 19, 2019
Deltona Fl
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro - Teknetics T2 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, it came and went and I'm 30 miles from the beach. We got no rain and little wind. I guess we dodged a bullet. Was going to go out to the beach hunting but the news showed a lot of guys swinging on the beach. It was funny, the news gal was on the beach saying how bad it was and every 30 seconds or so a guy swinging a detector walked by.

Last edited:
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, the news folks never lie or exaggerate. Don't let other people already being there stop you. One wave can make a difference and some of the guys don't know which end of the machine goes near the ground.

Billieg

Jul 19, 2019
Deltona Fl
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro - Teknetics T2 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, the news folks never lie or exaggerate. Don't let other people already being there stop you. One wave can make a difference and some of the guys don't know which end of the machine goes near the ground.

So.... who are you talking about???

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Especially one guy I saw last weekend at a beach. Swinging the loop a good 8" above the ground, and moving like a bat out of perdition!

I have seen some folks almost run along a beach, with the idea they will find something! I've seen this way more than one time.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gonna be worse up your way smokey than it was for us down here. Hang on and fire up the sump pump !!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm 100 miles inland. Was semi bright and sunny today. Beach was windy. New thread coming in 5, 4, 3, 2, ...

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, it came and went and I'm 30 miles from the beach. We got no rain and little wind. I guess we dodged a bullet. Was going to go out to the beach hunting but the news showed a lot of guys swinging on the beach. It was funny, the news gal was on the beach saying how bad it was and every 30 seconds or so a guy swinging a detector walked by.

In that case, it would have been a good story, IMO, to go off-script and cover the TH'ers on the beach - who they were, what they were doing, and why, with a little history lesson. But the reporters don't veer from the script. I've been interviewed a few times in the past about species we were restoring, and in one case, there was a massive fish kill that could have made a good story that day - but the fish kill "was not in the script" - the producer's exact words.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm 100 miles inland. Was semi bright and sunny today. Beach was windy. New thread coming in 5, 4, 3, 2, ...

I'm about 100 miles south of you, on the Bay, and closer to the Atlantic coast, so technically closer to the winds, but conditions are looking marginal to me. A good nor'easter can be better at Coin Beach than many hurricanes. But on the other hand do we wait for the "Perfect Storm" for Coin Beach, or go with less perfect beach conditions?

Getting turned away from Coin Beach 5 consecutive days after a tropical storm in the early 90's affected me and has kept me away from there.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will check road closures on the net but will probably go tomorrow late or crack of dawn Saturday. It is a gamble, but there are a couple other beaches that probably won't have restrictions.

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
World Record Wind. For nearly sixty-two years, Mount Washington, New Hampshire held the world record for the fastest wind gust ever recorded on the surface of the Earth: 231 miles per hour, recorded April 12, 1934 by Mount Washington Observatory staff.

Then>> On April 10, 1996, the Earth's strongest surface wind, not including tornadoes, was measured, but almost 14 years would pass until it became an official world record. Tropical Cyclone Olivia bore down on tiny Barrow Island, just off the coast of western Australia in April 1996. An individual mesovortex, a smaller-scale circulation embedded within Olivia's eyewall, produced five extreme 3-second wind gusts, the peak of which was a 253 mph gust on April 10.

Always thought my old Corvair Spyder could do that. Come to find out the speedometer was broken......

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't like 25 mph winds! Too many trees up here in the woods to blow down on power lines.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread