Can You Say...FIRST SILVER TODAY!! Yeah!!

Desertvet

Nov 4, 2011
Apollo Beach, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry if this is a little long...I'm just excited!! I paid a visit to a large park in Brandon this afternoon...about a 20 minute trip up the road from me. Instead of heading straight to the tot-lot like I usually do (pretty much to guarantee me some clad), I decided to venture out into the large field, where I could put to use my brand-new Garrett ProPointer! ;D I saw some large trees out in the middle of this field, and headed straight for one of them. I swung my MD nice and slow, and had my sensitivity cranked all the way up (afterall, digging and pinpointing would be much less painful, now that I was packing my NEW Garrett ProPointer)! :icon_thumleft: I got a strong signal at about 4". Out popped this bracelet with a heart charm on it! At first, I thought it was a dog collar, since I'm used to pulling up crap, and never hit silver. I took it to a jeweler on my way home, and they confirmed that both the bracelet AND the charm were both .925 silver (15.1 grams total weight)!! (when I got home, I looked for the marks, and found both of them). I also pulled up a nice ring, a heavy one, with the initials "PD" inscribed on the inside. Unfortunately, the jeweler told me that it is NOT silver. :-[ I really had my hopes up on that ring!! I just found out the initials inside "PD" mean "Palladium". Oh well, a great day MD'ing indeed! The last two pictures of the ring were taken after I got home and cleaned it up really good, and the very last picture is both my ring and bracelet looking all shiny after their bath. It really is a pretty ring!! Happy hunting to you all! :hello2:

Attachments

• IMGP0032.JPG
    IMGP0032.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 1,392
  • IMGP0054.JPG
    IMGP0054.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 1,460
  • IMGP000111 (1).JPG
    IMGP000111 (1).JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 1,474
  • IMGP0057.JPG
    IMGP0057.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 1,538
  • IMGP0056.JPG
    IMGP0056.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 1,514
  • IMGP0003.JPG
    IMGP0003.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 1,546
  • IMGP0063.JPG
    IMGP0063.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 1,525
  • IMGP0039.JPG
    IMGP0039.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 1,486
  • IMGP0053.JPG
    IMGP0053.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 1,490
  • IMGP0043.JPG
    IMGP0043.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 1,489
  • IMGP0008.JPG
    IMGP0008.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 1,157
  • Ring and Bracelet.jpg
    Ring and Bracelet.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 1,084
Upvote 0

filthyflyer39

Oct 18, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Minelab Safari
I really hope you read this, because if it is pallidium, its worth more than silver is, at least per ounce, by quite a bit. I took a screen shot of the value of it so here ya go! nice job, let us know how it all goes!

Attachments

• pallidium.PNG
    pallidium.PNG
    4.9 KB · Views: 493

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds. Here is what I found on Palladium:

to make out the hallmark. Palladium is generally marked 950 PALL, 950 PALLADIUM, PALL or PALLADIUM. Platinum is generally marked 950 PLAT, 950 PLATINUM, PLAT or PLATINUM.

That was from eHow site.

Maybe American palladium is marked differently.

and Pewter Industries” of 2001 lists the only approved abbreviation for Palladium as Pd. The entire name, Palladium, may also be used as part of the stamp."

Palladium is hypoallergenic and does not tarnish. I wonder if your PD stamp is the makers mark?
Sorry for putting so much here-I just got interested in this newer use for the metal for jewelry.

OP
OP
Desertvet

Desertvet

Nov 4, 2011
Apollo Beach, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great information...thanks! Here's what I got yesterday from http://www.ehow.com/how_5564540_identify-platinum-metals-like-jeweler.html.
"Identify sterling silver by finding the number 925. Some items that appear to be gold but have the 925 stamp are made of gold-plated sterling silver.

Identify platinum by using this list:
Plat
900 PLAT
950 PLAT
10% IRID PLAT
10% IRID 90% PLAT
COPLAT

Identify Palladium by the marking PD.

I was going to try to get that ring looked at today by a reputable jeweler, however I got side-tracked with my MD, and a park! I'll have it looked at tomorrow. :icon_thumleft:
SoreKneesDayton said:
Great finds. Here is what I found on Palladium:

to make out the hallmark. Palladium is generally marked 950 PALL, 950 PALLADIUM, PALL or PALLADIUM. Platinum is generally marked 950 PLAT, 950 PLATINUM, PLAT or PLATINUM.

That was from eHow site.

Maybe American palladium is marked differently.

and Pewter Industries” of 2001 lists the only approved abbreviation for Palladium as Pd. The entire name, Palladium, may also be used as part of the stamp."

Palladium is hypoallergenic and does not tarnish. I wonder if your PD stamp is the makers mark?
Sorry for putting so much here-I just got interested in this newer use for the metal for jewelry.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread