Can You Say...FIRST SILVER TODAY!! Yeah!!

Desertvet

Nov 4, 2011
Apollo Beach, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry if this is a little long...I'm just excited!! I paid a visit to a large park in Brandon this afternoon...about a 20 minute trip up the road from me. Instead of heading straight to the tot-lot like I usually do (pretty much to guarantee me some clad), I decided to venture out into the large field, where I could put to use my brand-new Garrett ProPointer! ;D I saw some large trees out in the middle of this field, and headed straight for one of them. I swung my MD nice and slow, and had my sensitivity cranked all the way up (afterall, digging and pinpointing would be much less painful, now that I was packing my NEW Garrett ProPointer)! :icon_thumleft: I got a strong signal at about 4". Out popped this bracelet with a heart charm on it! At first, I thought it was a dog collar, since I'm used to pulling up crap, and never hit silver. I took it to a jeweler on my way home, and they confirmed that both the bracelet AND the charm were both .925 silver (15.1 grams total weight)!! (when I got home, I looked for the marks, and found both of them). I also pulled up a nice ring, a heavy one, with the initials "PD" inscribed on the inside. Unfortunately, the jeweler told me that it is NOT silver. :-[ I really had my hopes up on that ring!! I just found out the initials inside "PD" mean "Palladium". Oh well, a great day MD'ing indeed! The last two pictures of the ring were taken after I got home and cleaned it up really good, and the very last picture is both my ring and bracelet looking all shiny after their bath. It really is a pretty ring!! Happy hunting to you all! :hello2:

Attachments

• IMGP0032.JPG
    IMGP0032.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 1,392
  • IMGP0054.JPG
    IMGP0054.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 1,460
  • IMGP0043.JPG
    IMGP0043.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 1,489
  • IMGP0053.JPG
    IMGP0053.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 1,490
  • IMGP0039.JPG
    IMGP0039.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 1,486
  • IMGP0063.JPG
    IMGP0063.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 1,525
  • IMGP0003.JPG
    IMGP0003.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 1,546
  • IMGP0056.JPG
    IMGP0056.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 1,514
  • IMGP0057.JPG
    IMGP0057.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 1,538
  • IMGP000111 (1).JPG
    IMGP000111 (1).JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 1,474
  • IMGP0008.JPG
    IMGP0008.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 1,157
  • Ring and Bracelet.jpg
    Ring and Bracelet.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 1,084
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Desertvet

Desertvet

Nov 4, 2011
Apollo Beach, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess that jeweler I had look at my ring and bracelet today should've told me that it's palladium, huh? I mean, I saw the initials "PD" engraved on the inside of the ring, but being new to all this MD stuff, I just figured it was the owners initials! Hmmmm...so, when I got home, I decided to Google "jewelry markings", and saw that "PD" stands for palladium. I don't know much about this type of metal, so I'm hoping to get some info from you all on here. I asked the jeweler if I was to sell my 15.1 gram silver bracelet how much I would get for it, she told me about $20.00. Does this sound right? Also, what do you thing that the palladium ring would sell for, if it's about the same weight? Just wondering...I really have NO plans on selling. Thank you all for the help and information! :icon_thumleft:
Argentium said:
Nice finds , but I must agree with the previous post , if this ring was palladium it would be worth
about 20 times the value in silver . Argentium.

OP
OP
Desertvet

Desertvet

Nov 4, 2011
Apollo Beach, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks alot, Dave! I finally got the monkey off my back! :hello2: Hope you're doing well! Happy hunting! :headbang:
ANTIQUARIAN said:
Congrats on the silver chain find buddy! :hello2:
When I first saw it, I thought you'd found a Tiffany! :o

Nice find DV, your doin well man! :thumbsup:

Dave

Dug1898

Sep 27, 2011
Fingerlakes Region, NY
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236-X2 &
Los Banos Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's sweet Desertvet. Real sweet, I thought you'd be hittin' a silver coin pretty soon; but that bracelet is a good surprise. A great first silver find! I can just imagine what you'll be findin' on the Treasure Coast one of these days. You've got the touch for sure now. Good job man! :thumbsup:

Silver is going for about $32. something an ounce and there are 31.1 grams in an ounce...so that's $1. and something per gram...so your bracelet is 15. somethin' grams X $1. something...so $20 is close...I'm not sure what palladium is worth, maybe Kitco.com can tell you. later, Dug

OP
OP
Desertvet

Desertvet

Nov 4, 2011
Apollo Beach, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you very much! Yeah, I'm stoked, that's for sure... I feel that me and my Ace 150 have done quite a bit of bonding over the past month and a half, and it paid off today. I don't think I'll be sleeping much tonight. :blob7: Happy hunting to ya! :hello2:
Dug1898 said:
That's sweet Desertvet. Real sweet, I thought you'd be hittin' a silver coin pretty soon; but that bracelet is a good surprise. A great first silver find! I can just imagine what you'll be findin' on the Treasure Coast one of these days. You've got the touch for sure now. Good job man! :thumbsup:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Desertvet , At 15.1 grams , the silver bracelet melts at @ $16.00 - so $40. is a fair evaluation. The
same weight for palladium melts at @ $342.00 - I rather doubt the ring is solid palladium , that
would be rare indeed !!! (not to be a buzz kill , but I've never heard of a large ring being made
of solid palladium ) Argentium.

capndan151

Apr 29, 2007
Costa Mesa CA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
when you first log on to Tnet, the current price of palladium is given. It is worth far more than the silver. Congrats on both finds!

tarpon192

Mar 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
matt092079 said:
If the ring is palladium then it's worth more than silver.
I WAS GOING TO POST THAT UNTIL I SCROLLED DOWN AND SAW YOU SAID SOMETHING. IT'S WORTH ALOT MORE THAN SILVER.

metalman531

Sep 25, 2011
washington
Detector(s) used
whites.minelab.tesoro.garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I was hoping to be the one to break the good news to you about the value of your ring but we got alot of smart people on here that beat me to it.LOL. Oh well congrats on some super finds :hello2:

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
684.00 oz for palladium , nice digs man keep it up

OP
OP
Desertvet

Desertvet

Nov 4, 2011
Apollo Beach, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you very much! Dang, that's a whole lot higher than silver prices! I just know that the marking on the inside of my ring (see one of the pics above) had "PD" inscribed in it. Now, is the entire ring made of palladium? I don't know...it could be just plated with it. I plan on going to a reputable jewelry store tomorrow (Kay, Jared, etc...) and having it thoroughly checked out. Happy hunting! :icon_thumleft:
nsdq said:
684.00 oz for palladium , nice digs man keep it up

OP
OP
Desertvet

Desertvet

Nov 4, 2011
Apollo Beach, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you very much!! Don't worry, they didn't beat you by much! I really appreciate everyone's feedback on here... Happy hunting to ya! :icon_thumleft:
metalman531 said:
Well I was hoping to be the one to break the good news to you about the value of your ring but we got alot of smart people on here that beat me to it.LOL. Oh well congrats on some super finds :hello2:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Desertvet said:
Thanks alot, Dave! I finally got the monkey off my back! :hello2: Hope you're doing well! Happy hunting! :headbang:
ANTIQUARIAN said:
Congrats on the silver chain find buddy! :hello2:
When I first saw it, I thought you'd found a Tiffany! :o

Nice find DV, your doin well man! :thumbsup:

Dave

Thanks buddy! ;D
Keep at it! :thumbsup:
Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread