Can you take over a closed placer mine?

jvan

Sep 30, 2014
Placerville, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Raptor Highbanker, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Fisher F70, Bazooka 36" Sniper, Gold Cube, Gold Vac Pac, Pans & Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So I was looking at the LR2000 and looking near my area and found a 20 acre claim almost walking distance to my home that is BLM status " CLOSED " last year

09/01/2013
CLAIM ABANDONED/FORFEITED
NO 2014 MTF/WAIVER

under remarks it says " RTN MAIL FOR XXXXXXX NO FORWARDING ADDRESS

So it shows the fee is $155 a year, does anyone know how I can file or take over the rights of this gold claim?

any help would be great

Upvote 0

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you've got cobble and big boulders that augers gonna hand you your arse. Get yourself a T-post, a fence pole pounder, highlift jack and a short chunk of chain. Take the little vains off the bottom of the t-post. Before beginning measure the post for overall length. Start on one side of the creek or wherever your checking and work your way across. Make sure you note and chart the current stream height for future refrence. Pound the post in and measure remaining post sticking out, subtract from overall length, thats your depth, chart it. Use the highlift and chain to pull the post out move a few feet repeat. By the time you get across you'll have a nice cross sectional view of your streambed. If there is not a lot of big rocks or cobble, you can also get some 1/2" rod, weld a piece across the top to form a "T" and simply push it in and probe yoir way across. If you have a ton of overburden you may not reach bedrock, this is good info as well. Keep charting you may "see" a hole, ledge, or trough -you get the idea! It's your claim now, take the time to know every inch of it, it will help you be efficient, work smarter not harder.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread