Canadian cents crumbled!!

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just awhile ago, when I had some time on my hands, I decided to clean some Canadian pennies by soaking them in some vinegar for a few days. Anyway, as I was brushing off some dirt off some the recent minted cents (last 5 years or so) some of them started to disintegrate. They literally started to crumble in my hands!! There were some that I could just break in two with hardly any effort. I know that the metal composition had changed. Canadian pennies are no being produced from copper. I believe it is a steel plated metal alloy. Also, if chedked on a metal detector with a VID, the newer Canadian pennies will show up just above iron on the meter. What gives?

OP
OP
Newfiehunter

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks John.

bigbcbear

Greenie
Jan 31, 2004
Delta BC
year 2000 to 2008 contents 94% steel, 1.5% nickel, 4.5% copper plated zinc 1997 to 1999 98.4% zinc, 1.6% copper plating. Sounds like you have the 97 to 99 pennies . I have found a bunch of the 97 to 99 and they just crumble. plus they are dangerous to kids. to much zinc , kids land up in hospital from swallowing them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread