Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• clegg dog collar close.jpg
    clegg dog collar close.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 360

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
There's actually a gentleman by the name still living associated with rock art.

Just do a search for his name on the Internet. If you can't find his email address, let me know. I'll try to dig it up.

Interesting find!

Cavers5

Likely Guy

According to familysearch.org there were 12 John Clegg's living in Canada in 1881, all of which lived in Ontario.

Only one was living in Toronto 'proper' at the time, he was an 18 year old tailor, the son of Irish parents 43 year old shoemaker Joseph and 44 year old Catherine. He also had a 15 year old brother named Thomas. They lived in St. John's Ward, Toronto.

Historically, if the Edwards St. address lies within St. John's Ward, I'd say that that's your guy. Good luck!

OP
OP
arob

arob

Nov 27, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for doing the leg work.

But why would an 18 year old tailor have such an elaborate pet collar? and what do you think happened to the dog?

Here is a link to Mystery of the Brass Pet Collar on Dumpdiggers.

Attachments

• clegg dog collar wd.jpg
    clegg dog collar wd.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 283

twogunz

Apr 13, 2005
Well if it was dug up when timmies was doing excavating, this may be fidos last resting place. Some folks buried their pets on their own property, others in areas where the pets had their best times frolicking. As for a brass tag, i thiose days they used heavy style metal it lasted a long time compared to the junk we buy today and try to pass off as quality. Judging by the collar, it was not a very large dog.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread