Feb 18, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QuickSilver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone,

I keep finding Canadian coins in my rolls. I have a few questions about them:

1) since the Canadian penny is no longer being made, should I be hanging on to these?

2) is there a chance Canadian coins will someday be worth more than u.s. and should I save them.for that reason?

3) I received these rolls with Canadian coins in them, is it wrong for me to turn them.back in to the bank?

4) (non Canadian coin question. Hope you don't mind.) I've heard of people keeping pennies for the copper. Is keeping these pennies really worth the effort?

These maybe stupid questions but I did try to find the answers. I just don't know what to believe.

Thanks

Upvote 0
OP
OP
powderpuf20

powderpuf20

Feb 18, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Former Teller!

OP
OP
powderpuf20

powderpuf20

Feb 18, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm... who do I believe?

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
powderpuf20

powderpuf20

Feb 18, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guess I'll have to use the force. Google it is.

OP
OP
powderpuf20

powderpuf20

Feb 18, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh...I get it. Pick on the new girl. Thanks guys.

Nomatic00

Jan 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm III
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As far as turning back in the Canadian coins.. I turn them back in. I figure that the bank/coin courier gave them to me it's only fair to give them back to them :) Remember that some of the older ones are 80% silver so don't give those back!

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After searching them for errors and varieties I save the copper for the scrapyard.

LinkHylian

Dec 21, 2012
WA State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro + ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sugar, Spice, and Everything Canadian.
These were the coins chosen to create the perfect little annoyance,
But Prof. Powderpuf20 accidentaly added an extra ingrediant to the concoction....
Chemical Canada.
Thus, Canadian coins were thrown away,
Using their awesome Loonie powers,
Maple leaf, hockey and Powderpuf20 have dedicated there lives to digging coins and the forces of hockeyyyyyY!!!!

Ahh I miss the 90's. Ed, Edd and Eddy, PowerPuff G's, Dexters Lab, Courage, Angry Beavers, Invader Zim....I could go on forever.
Zelda, Chrono Trigger and F.Fantasy for LIFE!!!!

I'd take the coins to a local hockey game and force them to take the coins as legal tender seeing how you would be at a Canadian Event hahaha.

Last edited:

x512x

Nov 30, 2012
Maybe in a thousand years they will be worth something. There were billions and billions minted. Who is guna pay for something they can go metal detect anywhere and find 1 lol

x512x

Nov 30, 2012
Sugar, Spice, and Everything Canadian.
These were the coins chosen to create the perfect little annoyance,
But Prof. Powderpuf20 accidentaly added an extra ingrediant to the concoction....
Chemical Canada.
Thus, Canadian coins were thrown away,
Using their awesome Loonie powers,
Maple leaf, hockey and Powderpuf20 have dedicated there lives to digging coins and the forces of hockeyyyyyY!!!!

Ahh I miss the 90's. Ed, Edd and Eddy, PowerPuff G's, Dexters Lab, Courage, Angry Beavers, Invader Zim....I could go on forever.
Zelda, Chrono Trigger and F.Fantasy for LIFE!!!!

I'd take the coins to a local hockey game and force them to take the coins as legal tender seeing how you would be at a Canadian Event hahaha.

Come on man u forgot thunder cats!! Cow and chicken! Cat dog! Hey Arnold! Lol

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Any canadian pennies that are pre-1997 those are 98% copper, so if you are into saving long term, save them for the copper, since now that canada doesn't have a penny, it is legal to melt them for the copper. Now you just need to find a scrap dealer willing to take them and give ya a descent price for the whole. Anything pre-1967 in dimes, quarters, half dollars and dollars are 80% silver. Not as cool as our 90% but the neat thing is not a lot of people, or even CRHers know about that for the most part. (And yes I did just educate a newbie CRH about our super secret rules, so sue me...). Myself I have started to collect the older canadian just because they look cool and I live in michigan, so i can get quite a bit of those. Normally don't have any problems with turning canooks into bank but them I don't turn in rolls and rolls of them at one time. I just spend it like regular coin, as long as its a quarter or less, the exchange rate is about the same.

Hope that helps,
Garoulady

LinkHylian

Dec 21, 2012
WA State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro + ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ahhhhh yeah!! Hey Arnold, Rocco's Modern Life, Aahh Real Monsters, Johnny Bravo....etc etc...*flashes back*

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Trust me on Canadian.

1) I keep all my Canadian cents. However, this is because I only have a roll and a half, since Canada is a good 9-10 hrs. away. If you are near the border, keep the pre-1997 copper cents.

2) Canadian will always fluctuate. If you want to invest in Canadian, you should buy a larger amount. Similarly, if you invest in silver, you need to buy, not just go from CRH alone.

3) By turning in rolls, you are giving US dollars to the bank. Just like you wouldn't sneak a Canadian 5 dollar bill, you wouldn't want to turn in your Canadian to a bank via rolls. You can sell the Canadian on eBay to tourists and get a good price, or take a trip to Canada and spend them. In case you've never been, it's beautiful.

4) Copper can be sold for 1.4x-1.6x face on eBay. However, you have to factor in fees, and you need to find a buyer first. I don't keep them, but certainly will when the melt ban is lifted.

And finally a link: Technical Aspects - Canadian Circulating Coinage

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions