Feb 18, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QuickSilver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone,

I keep finding Canadian coins in my rolls. I have a few questions about them:

1) since the Canadian penny is no longer being made, should I be hanging on to these?

2) is there a chance Canadian coins will someday be worth more than u.s. and should I save them.for that reason?

3) I received these rolls with Canadian coins in them, is it wrong for me to turn them.back in to the bank?

4) (non Canadian coin question. Hope you don't mind.) I've heard of people keeping pennies for the copper. Is keeping these pennies really worth the effort?

These maybe stupid questions but I did try to find the answers. I just don't know what to believe.

Thanks

Upvote 0

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as keeping "cents" for copper some have had good luck selling some on eBay an Craigslist I've yet to get a buyer but its worth trying.

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is anyone really finding a big volume of Canadian coin? I only search coins other than halves here and there, but I'd be surprised if even the bigger volume quarter/dime/nickel/cent searchers find an amount that's big enough to worry about. I just throw mine in a bag, with the idea of spending them in Canada if I ever go there (going to northern Montana this summer and will likely take a trip up to Banff). I'd say I only have about $10 worth. I do the same thing with UK and Euro coins. I actually find a fair bit of for foreign, but mostly in reject tray/tubes, not rolls.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Is anyone really finding a big volume of Canadian coin? I only search coins other than halves here and there, but I'd be surprised if even the bigger volume quarter/dime/nickel/cent searchers find an amount that's big enough to worry about. I just throw mine in a bag, with the idea of spending them in Canada if I ever go there (going to northern Montana this summer and will likely take a trip up to Banff). I'd say I only have about $10 worth. I do the same thing with UK and Euro coins. I actually find a fair bit of for foreign, but mostly in reject tray/tubes, not rolls.

Make sure none are silver, and keep the 1970 dime, plus any old effigy coins (kind of like our wheat cents, but for all denominations; they coincide with silver for many denominations).

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I avg. 7-8 Canadian nickels a box. Im at almost 2 rolls worth now. And like 20-40 Canadian cents a box.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got about 100 fv in Canadian coinage that is only worth FV. Trying to see if a local bank will accept them before I sell them on eBay or the like.

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
FV? what's that? and what denominations do you have accordseux? Just curious.

Sincerely, Garoulady

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pennies (post 96) Dimes (post 68), nickels (post 81?) quarters (post 68), past any valuable date

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I've got about 100 fv in Canadian coinage that is only worth FV. Trying to see if a local bank will accept them before I sell them on eBay or the like.

Any 1970 dimes? Also, instead of selling on eBay, reward yourself with a trip to Canada. You'll love it (at least Atlantic Canada, never been in the West of either Canada or the US).

OP
OP
powderpuf20

powderpuf20

Feb 18, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is special about the 1970 Canadian dime?

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any 1970 dimes? Also, instead of selling on eBay, reward yourself with a trip to Canada. You'll love it (at least Atlantic Canada, never been in the West of either Canada or the US).

I have some 1970 but I have not seen any indication that they are worth much of a premium if they're not in MS state. Canada's nice, but in MN I'd have to canoe across to spend $100 which isn't really feasible. When I used to live in Michigan, though, that was more accessible.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I have some 1970 but I have not seen any indication that they are worth much of a premium if they're not in MS state. Canada's nice, but in MN I'd have to canoe across to spend $100 which isn't really feasible. When I used to live in Michigan, though, that was more accessible.

I wasn't saying you could fund your trip, but reward yourself knowing you get a $100 "discount." The 1970 I would keep personally since the Canuck CRHers do. I feel like it's the equivalent of a 2009 nickel.

OP
OP
powderpuf20

powderpuf20

Feb 18, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any canadian pennies that are pre-1997 those are 98% copper, so if you are into saving long term, save them for the copper, since now that canada doesn't have a penny, it is legal to melt them for the copper. Now you just need to find a scrap dealer willing to take them and give ya a descent price for the whole. Anything pre-1967 in dimes, quarters, half dollars and dollars are 80% silver. Not as cool as our 90% but the neat thing is not a lot of people, or even CRHers know about that for the most part. (And yes I did just educate a newbie CRH about our super secret rules, so sue me...). Myself I have started to collect the older canadian just because they look cool and I live in michigan, so i can get quite a bit of those. Normally don't have any problems with turning canooks into bank but them I don't turn in rolls and rolls of them at one time. I just spend it like regular coin, as long as its a quarter or less, the exchange rate is about the same.

Hope that helps,
Garoulady

Thank you Garoulady for the info. I used your post as a guide as I hunted my boxes of dimes and pennies. I found it to be very helpful. I found one 1968 Canadian dime. I also found 40 Canadian pennies. All but 6 were pre-1997. I saved them but I don't know what I'm going to do with them yet. :)

OP
OP
powderpuf20

powderpuf20

Feb 18, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make sure none are silver, and keep the 1970 dime, plus any old effigy coins (kind of like our wheat cents, but for all denominations; they coincide with silver for many denominations).

I did find one 1952 Canadian cent that I think you would consider an old effigy? It had a different face on it. Is that what you are taking about?

OP
OP
powderpuf20

powderpuf20

Feb 18, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Out of my first box of dimes I found 6 Canadian dimes. Out of my box of pennies (cents) I found 40 Canadian. I live in Michigan. Maybe that is why I found so many.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Out of my first box of dimes I found 6 Canadian dimes. Out of my box of pennies (cents) I found 40 Canadian. I live in Michigan. Maybe that is why I found so many.

Did you get any Canadian silver? Check with magnet. No stick = silver.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did find one 1952 Canadian cent that I think you would consider an old effigy? It had a different face on it. Is that what you are taking about?

Yes. I personally keep any pre 1960 just for round number sake. Here's a good link for Canadian coin value and variety.

Coins and Canada - Canadian coins price guide, value, errors and varieties

Pre 53 is George VI. But I a
So like to keep the young Elizabeth's.

Just pulled a 1942 nickel from a reject this week, was pretty happy with that. Now I have more canadian nickel dates!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread