Cane Field Bandits Do It Again

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Louisiana has a way of staying beautiful all week then bringing the rain when you want it least. But does that stop the Cane Field Bandits? NEVER! Did a little work Friday morning then picked up Buckle Boy for the trip down the river to seek goodies in the mud.
Was it Willie Nelson that wrote the song, "On The Rows Again"? We arrived at the site, jumped out the truck and began swinging. No longer than an hour past and the rain set in.
It was about lunch time so we packed back in the truck and grabbed some delicious South Louisiana smoked brisket sandwhiches. Checked the radar on my iphone, there was no end in site to the liquid sunshine. We refused to let it stop us. We waited and waited and waited closely watching the passing front. Finally with little more than an hour and half of daylight left we jumped back into the sticky, wet, silty clay and mud.
Wasnt more than 10 minutes Will found a nice silver guilded flat button. Then I pulled a 1700s era pewter button from the muck. BB was eye balling clay pipe stems left and right, I with my less than great eye site spotted one only amongst the broken cane sprigs.
We had been eye balling another close by spot so I decided to take a swing or two there as the light began to fade. BAM!!! A taco shell shaped silver, bent by a plow. My oldest coin yet, another Spanish half. 1777 :) Badly hopeing for another double wammy day, Will joined me and began swinging. There he spotted a colonial era "Russian blue" trade bead and a clay pipe bowl with really neat disigns on it. About that time I got a good signal and dug a more modern Buffalo Nickel surely dropped by some hard working farmer over the years.
So, all things considered it turned out to be a pretty decent two hour hunt. Thanks for reading and please enjoy the pictures.

Attachments

• 100_4920.JPG
    100_4920.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 861
  • 100_4924.JPG
    100_4924.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 881
  • 100_4925.JPG
    100_4925.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 958
  • wills.png
    wills.png