Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"The Diary of Thomas Ninnes" 1852 March 30 [Gold Rush]

The spelling has be left as written by Thomas Ninness at the time

1852,March 30 - At night My Wife was confine in Jane.She never had a better time.Child born all right in a little time.Sister Mary Thomas present.We had a splendid tent on our dray of close tick.All our bedding was in fact as comfortable as a bedroom.The Following night Maria in her sleep being covered very close put out her arms, turned back the clothes and got cold about the arms,brest and neck. She awoke about 3 o'clock and said she was cold.I gave something hot at once.She improved but never gote right as before.She had an attack of the dysentery.She was now 10 miles from Busenbank,6 miles from the Pirenees and 25 miles from Mount Alexander.We stopped for a week at Daisy Hill.

1852,April 13 - We pitched our tents on Bullock Creek about 8 miles from Long Gully.We pitched to work in Long Gully ,John Thomas,William Henry full share ,James 2/3 share.Brother Joseph and self we had 2 good gold holes in Long Gully.

1852, April - [long note] We pitched to work at Long Gully.We had 2 good holes sunk and worked out by Brother Joseph and myself. James Thomas carted the the wash dust to Bullock Creek to wash 8 miles.No water on the diggens. We washed 63 oz of gold from the 2 holes. John Thomas was laid up some time. Not able to work. John and William Henry did not get any gold.When we settled or divided Brother Joseph would not count for John Thomas to have his share as he had not done any work. John Thomas was very much put out by this.Joseph declared he did not come to the diggens To get gold for John Thomas and family and he had done more than the 2 of us and had little for it.Paid John Thomas 3 oz of gold for the use of his dray to go from Burra to Diggens.

1852,May 11 - We moved our tents to the Head of Mionses Flat and Creek.It came on fearful hard rains. Maria gote whet. She soon gote worse.Palpitations of the hearte came on.

Monday ,18 May - I fetched Doctor Smitch, a German for the Burra. He attended her for inflammation of the lungs.Paid him for 5 visits 10 pounds stirling.No better the 29 May and fetched Doctor Oakley He attended her till June 29th paid 7 visits for 7 pounds stirling,medison 3 pounds stirling.

1852,May 29 - Little Grace died at 9 o.clock at night of direah.Jane died at 12 o'clock same night from the want of breast nursing. We took boards from the Burra which we used to make coffins. I made nice cofins for the children. My wife requested me to make a coffin for her also.It was a severe trail to me but i managed to make it. Bound it with white cloth and it appeared very nice. John Thomas dug the graves.Nicholas Trehair read the buried service.

1852, June, 29 - i gote Doctor Moile ,a nephew of our family doctor of Penzance to see her. Dr Moile declared her case incurable he said she had water in the chamber of the heart and common dropsy.There was no hope of whatever of her recovering.Paid him 1 pound stirling.

1852, 5 july - Maria wanted to see Dr, Smitch.She was in a bad state and could live or die no sleep.Being Sunday morning i hunted him up.Gote to our tent in the afternoon.I went with him for medison. I got back at 8 o'clock at night commenced giving to Maria. It had a fearful effect on her. She became delirious with deathlike appearance in her face.We stopped giving her the medison.She became conscious the next day.She said she soon be gone.She gave up everything for that moment. Praying to the Lord she died at 3 o'clock that day 7th of July. Doctoring in medical comforts cost a little over 30 pounds stirling. She lived 3 months and 7 days after her confinement. So ends the history of a good ,carefull,affectionate wife. Myself with Mary and Martha was left to mourn her loss.

End of 1852- We had pretty good holes at Pegleg Gully,Joseph went home in the Spring. I continued
working with John Thomas and the boys until returned.He and myself joined and worked at Pegleg Gully.

January 1853- We purchased Nagars and Trathews hole ,White Hills for 6 ozs of gold.Joseph Paul Raoch and Henry Pollard.One afternoon we had come up and were standing the bank of our shaft we saw a man comming down the Bendigo Roade .I said to Joseph that looks like brother William.We cooed and he came right up the hill to us. Proved to be him.He was overjoyed and we were glad to see him.Willaim joined with John Thomas and the boys . They went to Heathcote. We worked out our ground pretty well and went down to Heathcote We did not make much there. William gote very little with John Thomas. He returned to Bendigo with us. Joseph Paul Raoch and Henry Pollard left for home. William pitched with me.We worked in White Hills untill November. We gote a good bit of gold.
I built a stone wall around the graves of my wife and two children and cut their names in a Large tree at the head of the graves.The walle is all right but the tree is cut down and Mr Roas have the land, care is taken of the stop.

Hi all today this stone wall and the graves of the Ninnes family still sit in the shade of other trees on a hill top just above a gold mining gully. Over the last week i have spent my time hunting these sites mention in the Excerpt from the Diary of Thomas Ninnes .Here some awsome pics from from my hunts.
I have tried to use the best pics. I took 100 photos and only used 8 for this thread.

tinpan

Attachments

• 100_1554.jpg
    100_1554.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 792
  • 100_1567.jpg
    100_1567.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 927
  • 100_1566.jpg
    100_1566.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 910
  • 100_1565.jpg
    100_1565.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 936
  • 100_1564.jpg
    100_1564.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 915
  • 100_1555.jpg
    100_1555.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 811
  • 100_1562.jpg
    100_1562.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 780
  • 100_1563.jpg
    100_1563.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 918
Upvote 0

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: "The Diary of Thomas Ninnes" 1852 March 30 [Gold Rush]

Man what a hart wrenching story. This bit of history and your current finds is what it is all about. Well done mate, keep it up and feel free to post more pix, I am sure every one would love to see them.
Great job there Tinpan.
ZDD

slak jak

Mar 13, 2008
melbourne australia
Detector(s) used
whites pi 1000 x2. quatro , ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hi tp enjoyed your post as i do with all of them .
the pics are good to see , nuggets make my mouth water ,
& i recon im not the only one , we all enjoy them.
wishes , slak jak.

OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for the replies. Lot of hours work in a post like this. Trying to be "Historically Correct "in every detail. Specific Site hunting by historical Fact is Very Rewarding. I like the idea of putting real names to my finds. Even found a few that was in the hand of someone. I say" someone" as most history are the average people of the time. Not sure if anyone ever noticed that even the coin and other silver i find are within the limits of the gold mining era. 1850-1950 Most early coins are found more south which has about 50 years more history.Most of miners traded gold or worked for wages that didn,t add up to much.

tinpan

Attachments

• 100_1553.jpg
    100_1553.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 854
L

lost hunter

WOW thats some great research & Good finds

OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hi heres Another link in the history.When Ninnes talks about working in Pegleg Gully. Which is at the forked road of Sailors Gully and Pegleg Gully Eaglehawk i found this little later Token "R Grieve" Eaglehawk last year.

tinpan

Attachments

• 100_0579.jpg
    100_0579.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 874
  • 100_0579.jpg
    100_0579.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 791
  • 100_0580.jpg
    100_0580.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 806

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

thats darn cool , nice recoverys :blob7:

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

love your post tinpan, that story reminds me of the cholera epidemic back in the 1820's here in the great lakes region. sad times indeed. you should write a book about where you go and the history of these places. if you dont it will probably be forgotten.

Nutriasub

Nov 16, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 - Garret Pro Pointer

As always your posts are fantastic, loved the history and the yellow wonder!!

Thanks

Nu

Mrs Bloom

Nov 3, 2007
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202

Here's some info on the R. Grieve token.

http://museumvictoria.com.au/collec...ocers-eaglehawk-victoria-australia-circa-1918

Summary:Copper One Penny Token, minted by Thomas Stokes, Melbourne. Issued by R. Grieve, Wholesale & Retail Grocers, Eaglehawk, Victoria, circa 1862. This token is a late strike, struck by Stokes circa 1918 for collectors. A native of Edinburgh, Grieve is thought to have migrated to Australia in 1852 or 1853. Grieve is thought to have worked for Dunn and Bayne in Eaglehawk from October 1853, managing that branch of their business from its opening. After some time he opened his own general store out of a canvas tent. When the land was subdivided into a township, he bought a block and built a substantial store there. Around 1865 he sold the business to his brother Thomas and moved to Melbourne. In Melbourne, Robert opened a store in South Melbourne. His manager was James Herschell. Between arriving in Melbourne and his retirement from active business in 1880, Grieve did well and opened several stores in the suburbs of South and Port Melbourne, making him one of the largest businessmen in that district.Description:A round copper token (34 mm diameter). The token features the name, address and business of the issuer: R. Grieve, wholesale and retail grocer, Eaglehawk. Coat of arms consisting of a central shield set on grass covered ground and below Rising Sun. On left a kangaroo seated facing out but head back towards sun and on right emu with similar stance. Below ground line and set on bouquet of rose, thistles and shamrock, a ribbon with the motto ADVANCE VICTORIA. The shield is quartered by a cross with a star at the centre and at the end of each arm. The cross is not shaded. The quarters contain: top left, a three-masted sailing ship; top right, a golden fleece; bottom left, an anchor; and bottom right, a wheat sheaf. Around above, VICTORIA . 1862 around below in two lines, T. STOKES MAKER / 100 COLLINS ST. EAST MELBOURNE. The T of EAST is below the A of MAKER.Acquisition Information:Transfer from National Gallery of Victoria (NGV), 1976

Discipline:

Numismatics

Dimensions:

34 mm (Diameter)

Weight:

12.785 g (Weight)

Chuck In Oregon

Jun 16, 2004
Cottage Grove, Oregon
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, CZ-20, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Your finds are great and the history is even better. Well done.

Chuck

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other

Congratulations on another outstanding post.

OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hi all, been busy chasing new sites this week-end. there a few pics of Maria Ninnes's Grave site. The head stone was placed in the wall in 1919.
tinpan will post some site pics of the places named in the dairy

Attachments

• ninnes3.jpg
    ninnes3.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 601
  • ninnes3.jpg
    ninnes3.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 578
  • ninnes1.jpg
    ninnes1.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 592
  • ninnes.jpg
    ninnes.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 572
OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This a pic of Pegleg Gully Eaglehawk.

Attachments

• 100_0045.jpg
    100_0045.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 640
OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Long Gully

Attachments

• 100_1215.jpg
    100_1215.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 586
OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This is the kind of shaft wall Thomas stood on when he saw his brother coming. Quite i can still the sounds of the past. "Cooee" "Cooee" "Cooee"

tinpan

Attachments

• 100_0160.jpg
    100_0160.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 510

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WOW T.P. those old miners were a tough bunch.loved your research

Jonnie

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV

Thanks, Tinpan, for the background story, wonderful pics, and sharing your finds with us so far away! Again you've persisted in finding gold! As someone suggusted, I also hope you write a book. Your writing in all your posts is sensitive, informative and very interesting, so part of your book is already written in all your fascinating posts. Also you have a really good sense of humor when describing your digs on the hot days when it would be easier to stay in or quit early! And you already have great pics, both new and historical.

The tragic story of the prospector losing wife and two of his children also reveals the deep love of that couple, despite their difficult circumstances. The love was real and could not be destroyed by death. These epidemics have always been around -- both my husband and myself never met our maternal grandmothers as they died young from tuberculous in the early 1920's, each leaving a grieving husband and young children. One lived in Nebraska, USA the other in Michigan, USA. With modern medicine, we sometimes forget these realities of life.

Adios for now! HH Andi

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread