Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Been a while since I posted, but the Bandits have had two great hunts. Here's the video compilation, with a Big Bug Surprise that that is a video-only bonus. :laughing7:

The first hunt, Diggergirl (my wife) went along and she totally showed me up. I mean, I wasn't just surpassed--I was skunked! Quindy was right when he said she'd be a "Holy Terror" with her new Tesoro Tejon. :help: We'd decided to have a nice romantic metal detecting trip, so we got out in the cane fields at first light. The hunt started out with me digging what I thought was a gun part with a bench number on it, but it turned out to be agricultural junque. Then she dug a large copper that I didn't recognize. Folks, she has never dug a Large Cent, but she's already dug a 1700s French copper--and now as it turns out she's got a King George III. This one is a Half Stiver from 1813, coined for the territories in Guyana of Essequibo and Demerary. (I have never dug a KG, strangely enough!)

183_0860.JPG

Then not long after she comes up to me smiling and holding what appears to be a small cannonball. If I didn't love her I'd have broken my F75 over my knee. :laughing7: For her to find TWO items that I'd never ever dug in 22 years... and in one hunt to boot. So of course, we had to get this verified--because I've seen too many iron balls come from mixed occupation sites to believe that every one is a cannonball. But the weight and diameter were right, and Cannonballguy verified that this is a 1 pound Grape Shot. This is either pre-CW (less likely) or was outdated ordinance that was taken from the arsenals in Baton Rouge or New Orleans by the Confederates when Louisiana seceded. Here is a before/after electrolysis photo:

183_0865.JPG HPIM4856.JPG

I dug a plain flat button, then a barrel tap. Then she comes over with a wax fob seal made out of SILVER. Great find there! Again, something I've never dug one of--and in silver instead of brass to top it off. :D Here are photos of her and my finds, as well as close-ups of the half stiver and fob seal. (P.S. note the wheat cent that was shot with a pistol her finds photo).

HPIM4849.JPG HPIM4851.JPG HPIM4852.JPG

HPIM4853.JPG HPIM4854.JPG HPIM4855.JPG

OK so then the next day I decide to go out with Shanegalang to see if my luck had turned around. It had. :thumbsup:

I walked right out in the cane field and dug a semi key Barber Dime! 1894-O!

183_0870.JPG

Then not long after I got another silver!

183_0875.JPG

This one turned out to be a Spanish Silver! 1811 Half Real in nice shape!

183_0879.JPG 183_0882.JPG

Nice to add to the spanish silver totals for this 2014 (this is #8). After recovering close to 30 spanish silvers last year, it's been a bit of a slump in 2014 for many reasons--but the good finds are still being made.

HPIM4861.JPG HPIM4862.JPG

HPIM4863.JPG HPIM4864.JPG

HPIM4866.JPG

Happy Hunting,

Buck and the Bandits

Cane Bandits.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 26

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
NICE! So you're out in a big field . . . is this an abandoned town? A home site? or WHAT exactly? What's the deal with this variety of finds and eras? Congrats!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NICE! So you're out in a big field . . . is this an abandoned town? A home site? or WHAT exactly? What's the deal with this variety of finds and eras? Congrats!

Most of our sites down here are plantation complexes. Dozens of buildings and a big house, slave quarters, pigeonnier, mule barns, outbuildings, kitchen, overseer's house. Most are multi-generational, and often the outbuildings survived the big house, or several sites built in the same spot over the centuries. Mix of French, Spanish, and British (deserters from War of 1812), as well as Anglo-planters and carpetbaggers from up north. Also lots of CW and pre-war history, and Reconstruction U.S. Army presence just post CW. Two empires (French and Spanish), plus republic of Florida. Also the Islenos and Canarios as well as German migrants to the areas. Makes South LA a great place to detect!

-Buck

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds BB I mean DG lol. She had a outstanding day! Glad you got to dig some nice silver! HH!

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes nice condition on your Spanish Silver.
Cool Copper half stiver, I got the same one in 2011. Looks really big in her hand.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow your silvers look great bud. Congrats to DG for kicking your ass lol

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on all the amazing finds

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The hits just keep on coming in LA!! BB, that video drove me Buggy-LOL. That Molly is getting it done with her new detector for sure. I like that Barber & the cannonball has an interesting history for sure. The quality quantity of finds there still amaze me. I know that you have been strapped for hunting time recently. Get back out there my friend. HH, Q.

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer finds as usual and I always enjoy seeing the Spanish but the silver was fob seal steals the show. Congrats to both of you

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats to both of you, awesome finds. for sure. Love that silver seal seal fob.
ZDD

N.O. noir et d'or

Dec 9, 2012
New Orleans
Detector(s) used
White's Dfx 300, Fisher CZ20, Garrett ATX, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great recoveries BB! Love the idea of romantic metal detecting, but I fear that DG is on the short list of thinking that's so - You're VERY fortunate!! I hear the Tejon is very good for relic hunting. I predict many more outstanding recoveries for DG! One thing is for sure, we'll always find large bugs and snakes down here😊 Fantastic video! N.O.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DANG that silver wax seal is a KILLER find !!! Love the other coins also =) The cannon shot is a sweet find also, stuff like that just is not found out here we simply lack the history. Hope someday to find a seal of any sort !!

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the silvers and copper, the fob seal is a choice find for sure.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice hunt, that 1/2 Reale is in great shape!!

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
For a coin minted for a single year, those half Stivers have made their ways to many corners of the world, I found two for sure!
You're still getting the quality finds, something big coming

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice assortment of GREAT finds. I like that you included the ceramic shards in your showing, many do not keep them and if so may not choose to post a pic.Certain wares like delftware, creamware or pearlware are just as much about the historical record as a site than anything else. They too can actually help date a site, Thanks for showing them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread