CANNONS ON THE 1715 SITES?????????

tarpon192

Mar 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been diving off the beaches in vero and wabasso since the late seventies, and have seen many many cannon. However I have never noticed new yellow tags with numbers on them attached to the cannons with new string. My question is - are the new lease holders " QUEENS JEWELS" tagging the cannons to be hauled up to the surface, chip away the growth, and check them all for escudo's and cobs? The cannon found 2 years ago just south of cr510 in wabasso had many coins in and stuck to it. Coin's can stick to bronze - why not iron? Stuff could have been hidden so no taxes were paid (we all know what that is- it begins with the letter "C"). It only makes me wounder what is in, or on the remaining cannon on the seabed floor since many of them remain where they hit the bottom, and nobody thought to bring them up and inspect them since the REAL EIGHT day's because they were finding "BETTER" stuff, and not worried about the cannons.
It's just crossed my mind today after seeing one yellow tag at one site, and more yellow tags on several other cannon.
Just a though I had today.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The state does not want any more iron cannons removed off of the 1715 fleet sites.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I thought the cannon that had the coins in it was iron.

OP
OP
tarpon192

tarpon192

Mar 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought the cannon that had the coins in it was iron.
It was a bronze swivel or deck (signal gun) with goodies stuck on it, and in it. The state got the gun, and the salvor ended up with the coins from what I heard.
Does anyone know where the gun is to view in person? With the state having it - it may never see the sunshine again after seeing it for the first time in almost 300 years.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread