Short video Diving and searching in UK

Mr nibbs

Jul 16, 2010
Found this stuck to a rock, thought it could be a musket ? took some photos of my sons toy musket along side it. what do you think ? could be a nice find..try to post photos on here but did not work sorry. photos on keepthefaith

Very, very nice! Thank you for sharing. Hard to tell if it's a musket, could be almost anything. The wooden stock of a real pistol like your sons toy would probably have rotted away and just left the barrel and metal pieces. My guess would be it's not a pistol like the toy one, but I can't tell for sure. Having it X- rayed or cleaned and preserved could certaily help identify the item. But that's a difficult task. I saw the pictures in the link you provided. Is that the collection of an older dive named Ray I saw an impressive video about once? Documentary about "Ray - an underwater life" or something like that? A must see for every diver.

Thanks wrecker, we have not found any timbers where we are, and the wood does get eaten by worms very quick where we live.
We have found halve of a wooden block, but that was very hard wood, I am not sure how hard the wood is on a old pistol ?
I have dived in the HMS Ramilies which sunk in 1759 and there is lots of timber still there , don't know why.
We wont try to clean it before we get it x-rayed, I think that formed a layer of crud before the wood rotted or was eaten, and if we tried to remove the crud we might loose it own shape.
The thing that made me more hopeful was that my sons toy fitted the shape and size almost exactly. I will contacted the cannon conservation lab in York and might as them to lend a hand. (we have found lots of ammunition for it)

Also on TV program they raised some cannons from a 16th century wreck off Jersey UK, plus two complete muskets. Any other views welcome.

Yes wrecker the photos are of Rays museum, he dives with us quiet often. Try to upload a photo again but did not work some I have put them on my blog sorry.
Some finds from yesterday. Medium cannon ball with some type of casting mark ? a small lead piece with nail holes in. Inside in our two half moon lead wedges ? And a really nice lead pipe which is superbly crafted and very heavy, any thoughts ? keepthefaith

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back