Capped Bust half dime mint error ????

Ed (Upstate NY)

Aug 19, 2007
New York's Capital Region
Detector(s) used
New for 2023 Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, XP Deus. Minelab Explorers SE Pro & XS, Whites 6000 Di Pro, DFX & Beach Hunter, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dug this capped bust half dime earlier this Summer. I still haven't been able to get a definite answer whether it's a mint error or not. I'm leaning to mint error because of the noticeable doubling of the cap and the strange streaks and details on the stars to the left. The reverse seems normal. What do you think ???

Attachments

• bust half dime rev.jpg
    bust half dime rev.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 593

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Not being very savvy about coins, let alone errors, I would opine that what you are seeing is just due to the post-mint damage inflicted on this piece. It looks like somebody started to grind off the portrait to make a love token or some such. It seems to me that the stars would also show doubling if it were a true mint error.
John in ID

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, it is badly damaged. The grinding probably "rolled" over the edge of the bust causing it to look doubled.

lazooro

Sep 27, 2008
Sezana
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, TESORO TEJON
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
interesting...for me looks regular error coin. Lines on stars are aligned.
nice!

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Wild!.......I cannot say for sure what type of error this is but it is MOST DEFINITELY an error. I want to say split planchet or shaved planchet but just don't know for sure.

It is not post mint damage and I would LOVE to see a pic of the reverse.

And if it's for sale, just let me know!

Great find! :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright:

HH all!

Greg

Rakattack

Feb 9, 2010
SJ, CA
For those of you who think it's a mint error, how in the world do you explain it happening?
The only possible explanation I can think if is if the planchet starts moving before the dies withdraw.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good point. Whenever looking at what you think may be an error coin think about the minting process and ask yourself, "how could it happen". The minting process is pretty simple. Anything that happens to the coin after it leaves the dies is post mint damage. There is no way this could have happened in the dies.

1235CE

May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
I strongly stand by my initial answer and decided to e-mail the picture to my coin dealer who I have dealt with for over 20 years now. Here is his answer, which I hope will put to rest the thought that this is post mint damage. I hope it also helps the original poster with his question.

Hi Greg,

I’m not a certified expert on errors, (there are people who just specialize in these things, and see 100's in a week) but as you know I have been in this business for over 40 years and on viewing the picture my first initial reaction was “wow, cool error”. This is not man-made damage. Actually, I don’t see any “damage” at all. Damage is a term that we reserve for something that has happened post minting. What occurred here happened “during” minting, which is what differentiates an error from damage. So now we need to ask ourselves, how did this occur? With the amount of pressure and force needed for a human to inflict this amount of damage the very first thing you would notice is that coin would be out of round. This coin appears to be perfectly round. Also If you notice at 5 o clock there is what appears to be a star (albeit larger) and substantially down farther than it should be in the position where the fourth number of the date would be. This would lead me to believe that the planchet may have moved quickly and suddenly in the striking process and this would also definitely explain the striation lines (from the pronounced stars to the left) moving in the direction of where the larger star (at 5 o'clock) seems to have shifted.

What's weird Greg is that the doubling of the capped bust, if it did shift in left to right motion it would not look like it does with the upper head more raised and to the left of the lower or bottom edge of the capped bust, which to me indicates a doubling or second strike in quick combination with a faulty ejection. So now we’re talking about a combination error. I hope I have helped you. This is the great fun in coin collecting finding these oddities.

Regards,

Mike

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Following this explanation, the planchet somehow moving during striking causing all this damage, how could the reverse be normal? The planchet is between the dies, it cannot move against one but not the other. What does the coin weigh? If it weighs what a normal coin should weigh it may be an error, if it is light then metal has been removed, possibly by grinding.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think it is an error. I believe it to be post Mint damage.

I'm going to invite Fred Weinberg to view the thread, he'll know unequivocally. Lets all cross our fingers that he'll check it out and comment. :icon_thumright:

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a reply regarding this coin. For those that may be interested in checking out some cool error coins, check out his site. :icon_thumright:

My email to Mr. Weinberg:
Hello Mr. Weinberg,

My apologies if you don't answer emails such as this though it looks as if you do from your website.

Attached is a photo of a Capped Bust Half Dime that appears, to me, to have post Mint damage. The peculiar thing is the "doubling" of the hair side of the bust, other than that it just looks as if it were "smeared". I'm a moderator on a site that discusses all things related to treasure hunting and coins in general and this was posted by one of the members. I just couldn't come up with an explanation as to how this could happen. I/We would be interested in any thoughts you may have on this coin.

Link to the thread if you are interested.
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,364770.msg2600169.html#msg2600169

Thanks for your consideration,
Mike

Below is Mr. Weinberg's response:

Thanks for your email and scan of the obv. of the Bust Half Dime.

The coin is definately a damaged/altered coin, and not a mint error
of any type. There's no way I can determine why the 'head' is doubled
from viewing the one scan.

It's not a genuine error - that I am 1,000% confident of....

Hope this info helps a bit.....

Fred

1235CE

May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
lol, very nice Mike.......thanks very much for taking the time to check on this. :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright:

Well, you can't get much more definitive than that, plain and simple, not an error.

As an avid coin collector for over 30 years I try to soak up as much knowledge as I can concerning numismatics and today I have learned something. Thank you.

HH all!

Greg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread