Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Earlier this summer I had the very good fortune to find a Capped Bust half dollar. For me, finding a " capped" anything was an absolute thrill. I never thought I would ever be able to experience that same rush of emotion...until it happened again yesterday. For the past three weekends I have been working a new site that has produced a great mix of old coins. Weekend #1: 1877 Seated dime, 1898 Barber dime, 1953 & 1954 Roosevelt dimes, 1901 Indian cent, and a no date large cent. Weekend #2: 1892-O & 1901 Barber dimes. I returned yesterday for my third hunt. The first hour was very slow going... a couple of wheats, and 29 cents in clad. Then I got a solid, repeatable tone on my AT-Pro which I think was in the high 70's. At the bottom of the plug was the smallest coin I have ever seen. Could it be a half dime? I honestly couldn't tell because I had forgotten my eye glasses in the car. So I put the coin in my "keeper" tin, and kept detecting for another hour. It wasn't until I got back to the car that I was able to see my discovery- 1834 Capped Bust half dime- What a beautiful coin! What a wonderful feeling!

Attachments

• 055 (2).jpg
    055 (2).jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 311
  • 052 (2).jpg
    052 (2).jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 273
Upvote 32
OP
OP
Silvermonkey

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The coin was only about 3-4 inches down. I was hunting in "Pro- Zero " mode. Ground balance was set at 81.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread