Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
UPDATE-Carbine Sling Buckle, U.S. Buckle Hooks, Thimble, & 1889 V Nickel Today

With temps expected to be about 55 today, snow tonight, and a high of 36 tomorrow, Donnie (Tenn. Digger), Doug, & I continued our quest for the lost U.S. camp by hunting another pioneer home site close to where we suspect the camp is located. After a few false starts, we located the site marked only by a few hand cut limestone chimney rocks.
Donnie dug a few flat buttons, 1889 “V” nickel, a circa 1840 silver spoon, mid 1800s utility knife, and brass hooks from a small U.S. buckle. Doug recovered part of a CW period pocket knife, bras thimble, and a curious part iron & part brass relic that remains a mystery. My best finds were the U.S. Carbine Sling buckle and the mini Dutch Oven.
After today’s hunt, we are convinced that we are zeroing in on the camp. HH from Donnie, Doug, & Quindy.

NOTE-Here's the Carbine Sling Buckle restored by our friend Robert McDaniel in Alabama. he does great work. Thanks for looking & HH, Q.

Attachments

• DSCN1509.JPG
    DSCN1509.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 132
  • DSCN1510.JPG
    DSCN1510.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 140
  • DSCN1511.JPG
    DSCN1511.JPG
    828.3 KB · Views: 124
  • DSCN1523.JPG
    DSCN1523.JPG
    297.3 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Upvote 19

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking buckle! You'll be on that camp site in no time, can't wait to see what you get! HH!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great bunch of relics! I think you guys are scaring those relics right out of the ground!

The mystery piece kind of looks like it may have had a wood pole thru it?

Looking forward to you finding the camp site! GL HH! Bars, beers, & bears, oh my! Lol!

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OH boys! You gotta know with that horseshoe full of good luck, the next outing there is sure to be the best yet. Congrats on that first, Q! Buckles, buttons and silver. Looks like a great hunt to me!
Congrats! Nana :hello:

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
Quick update. The hooks that I found yesterday were off of a standard U.S. buckle and not a baby U.S. The baby U.S. had a single hook. Now I've got to find the skin off of the buckle and it's there.........somewhere! I can't wait to go back again!

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking more and more about trying for a Civil War site again. Haven't truly searched for one in a VERY long time. Always a fun hunt.

Nice!

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Old Dude....the quility of the video went up when he filmed DMan and me!!! :laughing7: :laughing9: We can't talk about DMan's relic hunting mentor but I will say this.....We need to take Dman's new friend so he can show us what we are doing wrong and maybe point us in the right direction. :BangHead:

Now how sick would you three feel if you took the new mentor with you and he walked right over to the camp site and started pulling goodies out of the ground? I know, then we'd have to hear the "beginners luck" stuff. I can't wait till you guys stumble upon the actual site to see all the relics you uncover.

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now how sick would you three feel if you took the new mentor with you and he walked right over to the camp site and started pulling goodies out of the ground? I know, then we'd have to hear the "beginners luck" stuff. I can't wait till you guys stumble upon the actual site to see all the relics you uncover.
Beez, we wouldn't take the newbie guy in question to a tot lot-LOL. Thanks for looking & HH, Q.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys are on track for another great year. Good video and finds. Always enjoy the humor as you guys have fun. Never know what a little patch of ground may hold. So are maps or diaries saying a camp was near or is it just logical thinking? Sounds like the hunt it on!
HH
TnMtns

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You guys are on track for another great year. Good video and finds. Always enjoy the humor as you guys have fun. Never know what a little patch of ground may hold. So are maps or diaries saying a camp was near or is it just logical thinking? Sounds like the hunt it on!
HH
TnMtns
Newspaper article from long ago Richard. Looks like you can get out 7 dig this weekend. HH, Q.

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the replies everyone. We may get out this week to hunt a little. HH from Donnie, Doug, Josh (he will be hunting with us again soon), & Q.

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
I look forward to it. Westmoreland is beautiful this time of the year!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great hunt before the snow! Nice assortment of relics.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the looks of those great finds, I'd say you are getting really close to that camp!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quindy,
That buckle l@@ks fantastic!!!! Robert does amazing work, and the patina looks great. :thumbsup:
Maybe he could repair Dman's moustache? :tongue3:
Thanks for the update,
MM

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great looking buckle, hope you have the best of luck this weekend.

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Quindy.... the Buckle looks good of course. Robert always does a great job. Some guy named "Blueberry" or "Dewberry" or something like that showed Robert how to do that. :laughing7: :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread