Carrying a firearm while detecting

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being an avid and pro 2nd A. Believer, there are many places I want to explore, however, I feel a bit safer with a side arm if you will. Researching many a clues, I am looking at remote wilderness areas out and away from the general public.
Licensed to "Own" a firearm is much different than the elusive, next to impossible to obtain CCW in California, to which I do not have.
Just curious on everyone's thoughts as to carrying a firearm while detecting, and, it seems as though while wearing earphones it is a little behind the eight ball so to speak (as I would be challenged to hear anything but the sounds of the detector), but, that said, I would "feel" more secure.
So, do you carry while detecting in remote areas?

Upvote 0

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't start accusing me of anything please. You can go and quote my replies, they have been cool, rational and only quoting fact. Just go re read my replies. Just because one does not agree with you does not mean you need to accuse them of false statements. Just by the simple fact you lied here accusing me of not keeping my cool proves you are part of the problem. Have a good night

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to see these Legal CCW holders shooting folks with Road rage?????????????? I think the national Statistics of CCW permit holders commiting crimes is almost not measureable. SO hopefully that was not what you were insinuating.

Please Post the Story of these CCW permit holders playing Wild Wild West. Would love to read all about it. Secondly, I would not go Word for word off of what the news skews. Fact people Facts :D

I am not saying it could never happen or hasn't ever, But I would bet it didn't with your story. Again, actual FBI statistics have proven for many years CCW holders commit almost no crime.

MXTMAN & Jackalope you see what i mean by ones that have A CCW and can not keep a cool head I would hate to see either of you in a road rage when you can not keep a cool head here over nothing..

Don't start accusing me of anything please. You can go and quote my replies, they have been cool, rational and only quoting fact. Just go re read my replies. Just because one does not agree with you does not mean you need to accuse them of false statements. Just by the simple fact you lied here accusing me of not keeping my cool proves you are part of the problem. Have a good night

I quoted all my replies just for you, please point out where I have done anything wrong or lost my cool. Heck I even gave you the benefit of the doubt, I clearly should not have done that now.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I said that instead of having road rage and running some one off the road now some CCW holders are shooting at each other in there road rage ..Just seen another one on the news last week.. But you must think all that have a CCW are just all honest people .. There are crazy and violent And hot head people all over now a days no matter what they do for a living or hobby or no matter what kind of permit they have... look at you how fast you got upset to what i posted .. Why i don't know .

He didn't seem upset

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toolmanbutch

Aug 23, 2015
Upstate NY and Floridas East Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Bounty Hunter
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[I agree with you 100%. Too many people need more training.
Toolman ButchQUOTE=Treasure_Hunter;5131478]Not trying to get in match either my friend, I'm the same as you and I also know the laws for Florida and I can look up any state I plan to visit and what their laws are. I personally think every citizen should be trained on how to use firearms and carry if they LEGALLY can, but that is just my personal opinion, may not be someone else's.

I have a lot of friends and relatives who do carry....

_________________________Tapatalk Signature_________________________

DT2016[/QUOTE]

firemac

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Irving Texas and the beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Garrett pro pointer Minelab Etrac & excal ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I carry a firearm (usually my Springfield XDs .45) every where I go 99.9% of the time, not just while detecting but also to the malls, stores, gas stations, theaters, grocery stores, parks, church and so on, if I leave my house I am armed, sometimes more than one firearm....

Treasure Hunter, that sounds a lot like me. And when I travel around the state, a suppressed 10"SBR w/110 rnds-5.56, you know just to be on the safe side. Her name is Vixen, the little fox. HH all, stay safe.

BuckRogers2000

Aug 24, 2016
Logan, Utah
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm fixin'to go on my Anniversary trip, with my bride. I usually carry but it had been a while, since I had taken my EDC to the range.

Imagine my embarrassment when my first round was accompanied by a significant amount of lint. I use a pocket holster too.

I really enjoy practice. I focused on a longer distance than I normally do. I also shot some .45 Long Colt out of my Governor. All in all, a fun day!

OP
OP
DiggerGal

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Talking the 2A always spouts passion from both sides. I originally posted the question as a true need for knowledge of our community.
I find myself enjoying this hobby in remote places in the middle of no where. Just a couple of weeks ago I was at an abandoned mine swinging the detector listening intently for that beautiful high tone to present itself (it didn't...) and through the threshold of constant hum I hear a muffled popping noise that I can tell is in the distance (thank god!). Removing my earphones I can clearly identify that someone is shooting a shotgun in the distance. Am I alarmed? No...I'm in the flipping mountains and a homesite or urban life is not within vision on a clear day. Did I think; "I need to have something other than a magnetic weight on the end of a stick?" YES!
I would feel safer and more content if I carried in remote places. A firearm is not something that would make me take chances any differently than I would without one. A firearm does not give me an alter ego or boost my presence, it simply adds to my ability to protect myself.

The treasures we hold are the History that lies beneath us.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Being ex military I am very pro 2nd amendment. Currently I do not have my CCW but I will shortly and I will carry when I detect. For now I go to safe areas where there is a much less chance of bumping into a thug. My springfield .45 is begging for me to take her with me....For now she gets to sleep on my bed side table

That's what I carry. I love my compact .45

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Carrying in remote places is mandatory DiggerGal. I'm all for it. You never know and it's responsible to be prepared.

One time, camping in Sequoia with my wife, I was sitting on a stump enjoying what a 1970's longhair would be expected to be enjoying, when I heard movement on the slope behind me. I looked around and saw that I was being stalked by a Badger. One thing for sure, it was huge and very determined and weaving a course straight for me.
Good thing I was carrying....my 12-string guitar! I could just turn around and play him some Neil Young and bore it to death!

Anyway, I was young enough to beat a path out of there and save my hide.
But as I age, you wouldn't catch me anywhere "out there" without the proper tools for survival. Detector, Shelter, Water, Food and Fire(arms) and maybe a decent first-aid kit. Oh yeah and my 12-String!
Best of Luck!
Rusty

Last edited:

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THunter , in my travels I learned to sleep with my .357 under the blankets or in my sleeping bag. So far \i have only had to shoot it in my sleeping bag only once, the night the half starved bandido came into my camp with his machete at ready . There is no fumbling around under a pillow or a night table.

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
....................... DSCN0911.JPG .............. "Molon Labe"............

Last edited:

Kuntzy

Jul 24, 2015
North Vernon IN
Detector(s) used
tesoro vaquero
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I always carry no matter where i go. Being ex-military i am very comfortable with a weapon and know when to use it and when not to. 99.9% of CCW holders are good law abiding citizens. I actually feel more comfortable when i see others responsibly carrying when i am out, because i know they are most likely a good citizen like myself. Only pulled my glock one time, and that was to put down a rabid skunk that decided he wanted to chew on me. Better to have it and never need it than to need it and not have it.

Taribor

Tenderfoot
Jul 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I carry my Glock everywhere I go, especially detecting. We swing a $200-$3000 carrot around, usually in low populated areas (i.e.early morning parks, woods, old ruins, etc), while wearing headphones that limit our situational awareness.

Also, being NorCal I love to hunt the foothills and can't tell you the number of encounters I am aware of involving illegal mj grows as well (not with detectors, but hikers, campers, etc).

That said, if you carry a concealed weapon but do not train with it constantly to maintain a minimum competence level, you are doing yourself a disservice, and for many, may as well be carrying a paperweight. Today's bad guys train, have the element of surprise, don't have to worry about making decisions as to use of force, and are not afraid of us.

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also ex military. In town always have my 380 concealed in my pocket. In the desert also carry my sig 40. The boarder patrol is everywhere looking for illegals here in southern Arizona, but wh also have drug smugglers mixed in with the illegals, If you are in the high country there is also mountain lions, bears, even a Jaguar has been seen walking about. My biggest concern would be the drug smugglers, who also carry.

Injunbro

Oct 8, 2011
SE Arizoa
I did not give any advice, nor will I. What do you mean?
Toolman Butch

"Self Defense? BaHaHaHaHa Dam Rattlers they can run fast" Your exact words. You can't outrun a rattler here in the rocks & mountains, you also can't outrun a mountain lion anywhere. Self defense isn't limited to 2 legged predators. There's 2 legged predators here too but we've had 2 unfriendly encounters w/ big cats & countless w/ buzztails. Why is a person from NY laughing about what AZ need protection from? You probably want to stay there, you'll get in trouble fast here.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please keep it cordial and friendly.....

_________________________Tapatalk Signature_________________________

DT2016

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread