Carrying a firearm while detecting

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being an avid and pro 2nd A. Believer, there are many places I want to explore, however, I feel a bit safer with a side arm if you will. Researching many a clues, I am looking at remote wilderness areas out and away from the general public.
Licensed to "Own" a firearm is much different than the elusive, next to impossible to obtain CCW in California, to which I do not have.
Just curious on everyone's thoughts as to carrying a firearm while detecting, and, it seems as though while wearing earphones it is a little behind the eight ball so to speak (as I would be challenged to hear anything but the sounds of the detector), but, that said, I would "feel" more secure.
So, do you carry while detecting in remote areas?

Upvote 0

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never felt the need to carry where I go detecting which is mostly old homes and church yards in rural area and the grass is cut even when no one lives there anymore or the churches no longer have an active congregation. Have only detected fields twice and never woods...yet.
But if I ever feel the need to do so I would carry a revolver in .38/357 cal or .45 Colt with 2-3 factory CCI snake loads followed up by a couple of my handloads of lead semi-wadcutter bullets. I have some CCI snake loads for .45 acp also and have fired 3 or 4 rounds and they did cycle the action, but as they are low powered I don't trust their reliability. Anyway could use them with the rest of the magazine topped off with jhp or hardball ammo.

Don

dabskie

Jan 30, 2013
Northeast Pa.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have had a license to carry for the past 40 yrs, Whenever I leave the house I pick up my money, truck keys, and firearm, so the answer would be yes I carry while metal detecting since I carry all the time, but nobody is aware of it except me. And that's the way I like it, I do not believe in open carry, although it is legal in Pa. I believe the element of surprise is to your advantage.

filthylucre59

Nov 15, 2014
daytona beach
Detector(s) used
tesoro sand shark,whites dual field,whites mx sport
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm in Daytona Beach and I've met 3 detectorists that carry a firearm of some type on our beach.We had an 81 yr old man robbed of his detector a while back.The biggest problem seems to be the very aggressive and crazy homeless population.I'm a water detector so I have no problems besides my massive sand scoop will leave a would be assailant with a long lasting Excedrin headache and facial rearrangement.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In remote area's I don't worry about it too much as even if you run into someone out there they most likely aren't up to no good, it's the bad part of town I worry about as it seems the people that are up to no good need people around to steal from. You don't see many thieves go off into the middle of no where as there is nothing to steal or nobody to rob. HH

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in Daytona Beach and I've met 3 detectorists that carry a firearm of some type on our beach.We had an 81 yr old man robbed of his detector a while back.The biggest problem seems to be the very aggressive and crazy homeless population.I'm a water detector so I have no problems besides my massive sand scoop will leave a would be assailant with a long lasting Excedrin headache and facial rearrangement.
I knew hunter who was mugged at Daytona Beach, ended up with a concussion from being hit in head during mugging. I'm always armed.

November 9, 2016 A New Future

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Our oldest part of town is called the Treme.
0253754c2e837415cd5ea62580e99069.png

So I've been carrying my AR-12
91755e40045efeae368d67e0913b7229.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got them in partial trade for a room addition, client said they killed his wrists to shoot....and his elbow....and his shoulder.....:laughing7:
I have only wandered around with both strapped on a few times, but... I can say I have!
Heavy, very heavy...

hikingthehills

Dec 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The great thing about Georgia is we can carry almost everywhere. So I do. If I'm hunting fishing or going to the mailbox my Glock G19 is right on me! :wink:

sataro

Jan 16, 2013
Corsicana, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 | Nokta Simplex+ | Tesoro Mohave | Quest Xpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have my LTC in Texas & do prefer to carry. Texas has become open carry if you wish but I prefer concealed carry. I carry most of the time when leaving the house. I believe in situational awareness. When detecting I prefer to know what is going on around me. I usually hunt with a buddy. When detecting in public places I try to watch my surroundings for someone who may be approaching my vicinity. My wife at times thinks I'm paranoid because when eating out I want a seat with my back to the wall where I can watch who enters & the people around me. Someone mentioned earlier in this post about a key feature--mental attitude. Your gun is not to be used as an act of intimidation. If you pull it you better be prepared mentally & ready to take what action is necessary. Hopefully that day never comes along...

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
To maintain situational awareness while detecting can be difficult for most. Myself included.
Having one earpiece clear of an ear can help , but takes practice too.
Still ,easy to not pay attention beyond the detector.
Usually a mini revolver rides concealed most anywhere I go .
Were I going beyond black bear habitat , something more than the .357 carried here for such would be required....or I would not go.
Slim odds of meeting the wrong grizz ,but no interest in finding out how many it takes to meet the wrong one.
Bulky carry in the bigger arms ,and I'd still want human company along if very far outback.
I told my neighbor just the other day, who is an avid hunter and has hunted Alaska.. my plan if him & I are going hunting in bear country is to carry a .22 pistol. When he asked me if I was crazy I told him I would simply shoot him in the knee & run like hell. I don't have to outrun the bear. I only have to outrun him... snicker

Eleven Cents

Nov 30, 2016
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I'm in remote areas, I'm more concerned about animals than people. For that I carry bear spray. My reasoning is that people hunt bears with high-powered rifles and still don't drop them immediately without perfect shot placement. A handgun is just going to piss it off.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bear spray will just piss them off quieter than a pistol.

gobble-gobble

Sep 7, 2012
North Port , Florida
Detector(s) used
own, excal 1000, excal. II , explorer II, Fisher CZ21, Vibra-Tector

Sold-BHID (2), DetecorPro-PI, Fisher CZ 2o, Fisher1280, Sovereign & many other minelabs & whites detectors
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I carry a firearm (usually my Springfield XDs .45) every where I go 99.9% of the time, not just while detecting but also to the malls, stores, gas stations, theaters, grocery stores, parks, church and so on, if I leave my house I am armed, sometimes more than one firearm....

Ditto, Amen to that:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread