RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have been diggin' through piles of lead, trying to find out what belonged to what, and which side fired it. I was wondering...Is there a way to tell the difference between case shot and round balls? Here is a Mason jar full of either one or both along with some buck shot. All Civil War finds. Let me know if you need more pics.

DSC_0322.jpg

OP
OP
RustyRelics

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I noticed that some of these balls have a mold seam, and some don't.

I also noticed some diggers at DIV say that they had found some roundballs on a hill, and others say the found case shot over the next ridge. How do they know what is what?

OP
OP
RustyRelics

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bump! Threads get lost quick around here!

Case shot is the stuff they fill the artillery shells with. Round balls are fired from a musket. Again, what's the physical difference?

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bump! Threads get lost quick around here!

Case shot is the stuff they fill the artillery shells with. Round balls are fired from a musket. Again, what's the physical difference?

I could be totally wrong here but I think the difference is that musket balls where mostly made of lead (there have been cases of pewter) and case shot or grapeshot was made of iron.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just at the recent DIV and dug what I believe to be case shot vice a round ball. All the case shot I found all had a flat spot on them, which makes sense when you think that lead is malleable and if I packed 100 into a can the pressure over time would cause the shot to flatten against one another. At least for me the shot I dug was found in an area where other evidence of artillery were located which is another data point.

JoshW

Oct 1, 2018
Valley Forge, PA
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One give-away for case shot is that it is crudely made and has a pronounced mold seem. The picture is from case shot recovered from Gettysburg. You can see that it is not 100% round, so it couldn't possibly fit into a musket. It is hard to really tell though if the shot is mangled from firing. IMG_0361.jpg

Josh

OP
OP
RustyRelics

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was just at the recent DIV and dug what I believe to be case shot vice a round ball. All the case shot I found all had a flat spot on them, which makes sense when you think that lead is malleable and if I packed 100 into a can the pressure over time would cause the shot to flatten against one another. At least for me the shot I dug was found in an area where other evidence of artillery were located which is another data point.

The balls I dug at DIV were obviosly case shot.

A. there were fragments from Hotchkiss shells everywhere, and it was a known artillery barrage point.

B. they were quite mangled.

My dad, who has been digging this stuff for years says that roundballs only came in .69 Cal. I tend to believe him, although I am sure there are variants. I really need a caliper.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread