Cash Cache !!

Mississippi Yankee

Jul 22, 2005
Petal MS
After reading nana's post & seeing Bovine .....

I went in search of one of my most interesting finds hidden somewhere in my apartment that I had TOTALLY forgotten I had !! These were dug on an old dairy farm ( hence the bovine reminder ;) ) in Petal Mississippi back about 3-4 years ago when I 1st started MDing. I was using a Bounty Hunter 505 back then in relic mode. Have since switched over to a ACE250, but just am not physically able to use it as much as I would like due to severe leg "Problems". Perhaps next time I feel "Up to it", I will visit that site again.

There are 33 total Cash coins held together by some very old (& apparently very strong) string. This is the way they were found near an old fence post about a foot deep. To say that I was excited when I found these back then, would be the "Understatement of the Year" !! ;D

ccc.jpg

ccc2.jpg

Upvote 0
B

BIG61AL

It's possible that an Chinese immigrant laborer buried these for safe keeping and did not get an opportunity to retrieve them....they look like they have been in the ground a very long time...
AL

OP
OP
M

Mississippi Yankee

Jul 22, 2005
Petal MS
fleamistress said:
BIG61AL said:
It's possible that an Chinese immigrant laborer buried these for safe keeping and did not get an opportunity to retrieve them....they look like they have been in the ground a very long time...
AL

I thought that but here in the US we pay and spend in Our currency. The string looks darn good. Anybody know when those coins had value, if any?

I have a feeling ( had when I dug them up too ) that they are at LEAST 50-100 years old. How the string survived is totally beyond my comprehension. As for HOW they got there .... ???

Anyone with ANY information on age or worth ?

Inquiring minds ( mainly mine ) want to know.

bytheriver

Jul 11, 2006
Wonderful find. I am new to this site, and I found this to be very intriguing.I search for Indian Thong Trees, Indian Trail Markers, and Inndian Bent Trees. This venture of mine has taken me into treasure hunting methods, symbols etc. I rmembered reading somewhere about caches that were buried next to or near fence posts so I contacted a person that is very knowledgeable of Indian Trail Markers and other KGC. Here is his reply. I am also posting the website to Hobbs State Park, Arkansas.

http://www.friendsofhobbsstatepark.com/

Margaret

What you describe could be a connection with the Knights of the Golden Circle.

Using thong trees already in place and or making new ones, the Knights of the Golden Circle (so the story goes) buried small caches of coins, gold, etc.. These smaller caches were clues and all part of a much larger template design that was supposed to guide those in the know to LARGE caches of guns, ammo, gold, uniforms, etc. etc. that would be used in the next Civil War. Suggested Reading: Warren Getler and Bob Brewer’s book, “Shadow of the Sentinel”. If nothing else, it’s interesting reading.

The significance is that if it is KGC-related, then you found a clue before someone else did. There are other metal clues to the big cache (horse shoes, gun barrels, etc.) that can be found, but if they are rearranged or taken from the site, the major cache might not ever be found.

Chinese coins: What are the dates on those coins? They could be valuable. There was back in the 1700’s and 1800’s (and still is) a lot of slave dealing in China. Maybe there was a slave connection with the KGC and some Chinese interest in the 1800’s.

Of course it’s always possible that there is no KGC connection with those coins.

Steve

Steve Chyrchel, Interpretive Naturalist
Hobbs State Park - Conservation Area
21392 E. Hwy 12
Rogers, Arkansas 72756
Phone: 479-789-2380
Fax: 479-789-5969
[email protected]

OP
OP
M

Mississippi Yankee

Jul 22, 2005
Petal MS
KGC ?

Wow ... interesting indeed.

More than likely means nothing, but I am told Petal Mississippi was HEAVILY populated by the KKK at one time.

The plot thickens.

:o

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Very cool find!

Do all the coins have the same markings on them?  The ones I can see the markings on in your photo are all from the Tao-Kwong era, which was from 1820 to 1850.

I'm guessing the fiber is hemp, the strongest known natural fiber and the only thing I could think of that might survive in the ground like that.

bytheriver

Jul 11, 2006
Were the coins wrapped or in some kind of container?
Did you clean them a little bit?
If the chinaman buried his treasure near a fence post there just may be other areas where he hid his money to keep it safe.

Are we having fun yet?

River

OP
OP
M

Mississippi Yankee

Jul 22, 2005
Petal MS
mlw67 said:
Very cool find!

Do all the coins have the same markings on them? The ones I can see in your photo are all from the Tao-Kwong era, which was from 1820 to 1850.

I'm guessing the fiber is hemp, the strongest known natural fiber and the only thing I could think of that might survive in the ground like that.

Yes, MLW ... my face looked sort of like that too, when reading your reply. ;D

Hemp may very well be what has held this group together all these years, but I ain't lightin' it up to find out. ;)

1820-1850 ?? Hot diggity-dog !!

I will start the bidding at $33.00 ( $1.00 each) hehe :D

OP
OP
M

Mississippi Yankee

Jul 22, 2005
Petal MS
bytheriver said:
Were the coins wrapped or in some kind of container?
Did you clean them a little bit?
If the chinaman buried his treasure near a fence post there just may be other areas where he hid his money to keep it safe.

Are we having fun yet?

River

Thanks for asking River ... If my memory serves me right .... YES, they were in old paper of some kind ( newspaper ? ) that just crumbled apart in my hands while in the hole I liberated them from. Did not even THINK to mention that in the original post. ( of all the things i have lost, I miss my mind the most ) & NO, they have not been cleaned by me at all, other than rinsing them off with water when I got home.

Me thinks a return trip is in order as soon as I can get my legs to cooperate. ;)

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
mlw67 said:
Very cool find!

Do all the coins have the same markings on them? The ones I can see the markings on in your photo are all from the Tao-Kwong era, which was from 1820 to 1850.

Yes! I was thinking possibly flax (linen). I think you're right though, hemp is one of the toughest fibers around (FIBER hemp!).

very cool find
HH
Nan (back in her own "roswellborn skin!")

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HMMMMMM....Mississippi. The number 33 and KGC in the same thread. Might want to go back and visit those Bovine again! :D

Neat find!

Nana ;)

OP
OP
M

Mississippi Yankee

Jul 22, 2005
Petal MS
rtde3 said:
Cool story! Now get back out there & find the next clue! ;D

Going to (try) putting in a couple of hours more on that property ( Legs permitting ) this weekend.

"Next clue" ? Sure wish I knew clue to what ?

???

OP
OP
M

Mississippi Yankee

Jul 22, 2005
Petal MS
Nana40 said:
HMMMMMM....Mississippi. The number 33 and KGC in the same thread. Might want to go back and visit those Bovine again! :D

Neat find!

Nana ;)

"33" ? "KGC" ? ???

Never felt as obtuse as I do now. WHAT did I stumble upon ?

:o

OP
OP
M

Mississippi Yankee

Jul 22, 2005
Petal MS
fleamistress said:
Google KGC signs treasure.

Also record the precise compass points/GPS of the dig, just in case.

Did the Google search of "KGC" as suggested. After reading up on it & finding the referance to "33",
I doubt I will be getting much sleep in the near future !! C'mon legs, don't fail me now !!

:o :o

I

Ian (Victoria)

Re: Japanese coins...

...from early to mid Edo period (about 250 years ago). Millions were minted and value for a good specimen is about a dollar. I MD'ed in Japan for years and found hundreds of them.

For those wishingto date Chinese coins, here is a good site:
http://www.calgarycoin.com/reference/china/china8.htm

Ian (Victoria)

OP
OP
M

Mississippi Yankee

Jul 22, 2005
Petal MS
Re: Japanese coins...

Ian (Victoria) said:
...from early to mid Edo period (about 250 years ago). Millions were minted and value for a good specimen is about a dollar. I MD'ed in Japan for years and found hundreds of them.

For those wishingto date Chinese coins, here is a good site:
http://www.calgarycoin.com/reference/china/china8.htm

Ian (Victoria)

Thanks for the link Ian !!

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You still with us Mississippi? ;D

;)

OP
OP
M

Mississippi Yankee

Jul 22, 2005
Petal MS
KGC, 33, buried treasure.

After getting all wound up over the possibilities of my "Find", I finally drove to and spent some time looking over the property where I originally found my "Cash Cache" a few years ago. I got a BAD feeling driving there when something VERY Important occurred to me. ( & when I got there, my bad feeling was certainly justified ) You see, even IF this were a clue to some kind of "Treasure", which it may very well be, finding OTHER "Clues" is going to be next to impossible. 2 words .... Hurricane Katrina. She flat TORE UP this area of Mississippi last year including most of the old trees on the property. :(

I will spend some time, every now & then, hoping to find more goodies this property may very-well have hidden. If something else is dug up, Great !! If not, at least I can say I found something special. ;D

THANK YOU to all that responded & supplied me with potentially needed information on this find.

For a while at least .... What a Rush !! ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread