Cashe Of Coins Found At Old Home Site! And More!

Seabiscuit

Jan 2, 2010
Detector(s) used
F-75, CZ-20, Troy Shadow
Hello there,
I want to show you all my finds from yesterday. I hunted a large farm that had a saw mill on it in the 30's & a home site from the 1800's. I was hunting with RTDE3 & another friend. This was our first trip to this place. We walked a long way back in the woods until we found where the mill once was. The home site was near by. About 15 minutes in to my hunt I got a nice signal. When I popped the plug out of the ground I could see 2 large coins. I then got down on my knees and started to sift though the dirt. Coins just started showing up left & right! I knew then I had just found a cashe. There were 9 coins total. There was some thin fabric stuck to some of the coins. So maybe they were in a small coin bag or wrapped in a handkerchief? The coins turned out to be a large copper coin that I do not know what it is. And it's smooth on the back. (Any help?) Also a 1895 Barber half, a 1928 SLQ, 3 buffalo nickels dated 1919,1925,1928, a 1931 merc dime and 1911 & 1927 wheat pennies. I could have stopped hunting right there and been happy with my find. But I went on to find all kind of other stuff.
I found 2 anchor buttons, 2 post man buttons, an Eagle cuff button, a brass tag that says 1904 on it, a butter fly buckle and part of another one, a rosette, a iron buckle, 2 small bottles, a holed coin that I can see any thing on it and a fork or spoon handle that has what looks like the letters ELC on it.
The owner told us about 2 other old home sites on this trac of land. He said come back anytime & I'm sure we will soon!

UPDATE! The tag that I thought was just a key tag from an old hotel, turned out to be from the Theodore Roosevelt-Fairbanks Campaign in 1904!
Click here to see.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cornelluniversitylibrary/4359303013/

And the large copper turned out to be a Napoleon III from 1852-57!

Attachments

• Floyd\'s_big_find.jpg
    Floyd\'s_big_find.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 2,694
  • Coins_in_hand.jpg
    Coins_in_hand.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 2,699
  • Coins front.jpg
    Coins front.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 2,698
  • Back of coins.jpg
    Back of coins.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 2,687
  • Mystery coin.jpg
    Mystery coin.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 2,680
  • Hunt finds.jpg
    Hunt finds.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 2,666
  • Buttons and tag.jpg
    Buttons and tag.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 2,676
  • Butterfly and other.jpg
    Butterfly and other.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 2,648
  • Rosette & buckle.jpg
    Rosette & buckle.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 2,622
  • Fork tip.jpg
    Fork tip.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 2,618
  • holed coin.jpg
    holed coin.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 2,601
  • small bottles.jpg
    small bottles.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 2,606
Upvote 0
What a Great assortment of Finds !
Copper looks to be mid 1800s French Napoleon III,
maybe Centimes (10 ??)

Holy Cow!!! I'd say that was an amazing day...... way to go. HH

Holy Smokes, a tremendous find! For certain, to find an old coin spill or cache would rank high for me.

Great hunt! Congrats...........Hogge :headbang:

What a find. Congrats. I love those buttons. :icon_thumright:

Thanks for all the comments! I was having a blast out there yesterday. Ticks are out bad now and those nasty snakes are appearing once again, but the hunt was so much fun with my buddies. I did have some neat little finds - I keep looking at them, because I can't believe it myself.

Nice Digs for sure you and Rob had and the coins cleaned up nice! :icon_thumleft: That Rosette is pretty nice too!! Congrats bud!!! :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :wink:

Nice finds there. It would be nice ot find a cashe of coins one day.....Matt

You are a brave man to go with Rob SB-LOL. You had a great day. I knew you would score big with that F75. By the way, in CW relic sites, if you get a 1,2, or 3 and a 40 or 50 reading on your display, DIG it. We did that in Arkansas for deep bullets. The average depth of bullets there was 8 inches. Congrats on a banner day and HH, Quindy.

What a great selection of finds - almost a museum display case. I can't help but think, when I see those old coin finds what those coins must have meant to the person who lost them. Might have been a whole day's or pay - quite a loss to a working man. Every one of your pieces must have a good story behind them. Great stuff.

The smile on your face says it all.

Congrats on a nice day.

Congrats on the cache, that's awesome!

I like your POD button too (Post Office Dept) you don't see those very often.

HH,
Brian

Way to go. What did you use to clean those coins up? Those nickels came out great. I was hoping we might have a few more weeks before the ticks come out. Guess not.

Man that is one great variety of finds :icon_thumright:

Now that's the kind of find that get's your blood pumping :headbang: I like POD buttons too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back