Catch Up Post - Last 12 Hunts - 11 Silvers (Trifecta + a Big One)

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Hey folks!

Doing my best to stay on top of life these days but it has a way of keeping you busy. I've done more lurking than participating on here over the last month but want to stay as engaged as I can! Here's a little write up on what I've been up to and the hunts I've been out on.

First, the big time suck is our little Fox Red Lab, Atlas! He's 15 weeks old now and healthy as a horse. Lots of fun with him.

IMG_4774.jpg

Outside of work and house remodeling, I've been getting in as many hunts as I can. Here's a little recap on each of them.

10/11/2020

Got out for a little in the morning with my brother. It was a rainy, nasty day. I was bummed to not get any silver but of course thrilled with the 1891 IHC and super pumped about the 1930s "Seattle Salt" token once I realized it was old. It was given out to kids on a local, famous ferry the "Kalakala". In the art deco on the back you can see the Seattle skyline without the distinctive Space Needle (that didn't roll around until the 60s). Super fun and unique piece of local history. It's about the size of a half dollar.

Adjustments.jpg
Adjustments.jpg
Adjustments.jpg

10/15/2020

Didn't have a ton of time so I stayed close to home and worked a well hit spot. Got lucky and found a 1917-S Merc that the boys and I have missed. Also got a little handful of wheaties.

IMG_4279.jpg
IMG_4280.jpg

10/18/2020

Searched for an old auto-camp in the mountains with the boys. Didn’t have too much success (my best find was an old, played spoon) but despite the cold and rain it was fun to get outside and enjoy some like-minded company!

IMG_4351.jpg

10/22/2020

Got out with a couple buddies in the city. Got super lucky and found the 1908-S Barber dime right off the bat. Later in the hunt I got a 1940 Merc. I started to think, "you know...all I need is a Rosie" and sure enough! Got a 1953-S Rosie a short while later.

The real "highlight" of the day though was the legion of Karens we met. My buddy was trying the sidewalk strips outside a large mid-century apartment complex and within a minute had a middle-aged Karen yelling at him from the second story. He politely explained it was city proper, we were looking for coins and cleaning up trash, and that we were leaving no trace. She wasn't budging says, "I'm calling the police". He was like "Alright then!".

So she comes back 5 minutes later and starts yelling again "They say you need a permit if you are doing any digging! Blah blah blah". My friend calmly replied "That is not the case unless you are going more than 6 inches. This is allowed in all the parks and public property" and so on.

Anyways, I hear her call the cops again..."Yes, he's in a black jacket, with a water bottle....".

45 minutes later a cop car rolls up on us. I felt pretty confident because the big city cops are always chill with us around here and not looking for trouble. He says he got a call that a man was "wandering the neighborhood with a hatchet, threatening people". He said he'd been observing us and could tell we weren't causing any trouble and sent us on our merry way. We did confirm with him that it was our lovely "Karen" who gave him a ring. He told us he was going to have a talk with her.

After I took off for the day I guess multiple other people gave my buddies grief and insulted them, videoed them, threatened to call the cops. Absolutely wild. I love detecting in this area because of its history but you really have to contend with the swarm of Karens if you venture to those parts.

Adjustments.jpg
Adjustments.jpg
Adjustments.jpg

10/25/2020

Had a little time to get out before sunset so I stuck close to home. Tried doubling over some areas at a well hit park and got lucky to stumble over a 1941 Merc.

Adjustments.jpg
Adjustments.jpg

11/1/2020

Got out to some promising looking places. Didn't pan out quite the way I hoped but I was happy to get a silver ring and a General Enlistment button. The modern car wash token and the wheats were a bonus too.

IMG_4610.jpg

11/7/2020

Got out to some places I'd mapped out a while back. They didn't turn out quite the history I was anticipating but still made for a fun outing. The oddest find was the massive skull necklace. Not sure the story on that one. I was lucky to get a little silver at the end of the hunt, a 1945-S Merc.

Adjustments.jpg
Adjustments.jpg
Adjustments.jpg

11/8/2020

Got out for a bit to a well hit park. I've done well there before but struggled a little more this time around. Still got some wheat pennies, a couple older Canadian pennies and the better part of a corroded tax token.

1CF01F64-1B45-4411-895D-257098EB7214.jpg

11/11/2020

Keith (uscgdavis) convinced me to go out with him on the morning of Veterans Day (thank you for your service Keith and others here on TNet!). I worked some areas in a well hit park which had produced well in the past but are pretty quiet not. I worked my way through and around a lot of iron and was rewarded with 10 wheats and a 1954-D Rosie.

Adjustments.jpg
Adjustments.jpg
Adjustments.jpg

11/12/2020

Got out for a short hunt while the puppy was asleep. I had pretty low expectations but was hoping I could scrape up a silver dime. I struck out for 1h45m and was pretty sure I was going home empty handed. Decided to spend my last 15 minutes at one last little place.

12 minutes in...nothing old. I got a choppy 24-26 moderately deep and started doing my thing, expected another memorial. At around 7 inches I pulled what I thought was a tax token, only it wasn't!

IMG_4759.jpg

Turns out it was a 1909-D Barber Quarter!

I decided to Try that area a little harder before throwing in the towel and 5 feet away got a 24-26 at a few inches deep. Once again I was thinking penny until I saw a big silver rim. Initially I thought, "awesome, another quarter!" Then I pulled it out of the hole and saw it was a half!!

IMG_4760.jpg

1946 Walker.

Suffice it to say that when I called it good that day I was pretty happy with the results.

Adjustments.jpg
Adjustments.jpg

11/14/2020

Got out for a little while yesterday. Had another unpleasant situation with a "Karen" and her husband "Kevin". I think there are just a lot of cooped up, pissed off people right now who will take their anxiety and aggression out on anything that stands out. Bummer but comes with the territory I guess.

Thankfully that wasn't until the end of my hunt so it didn't really dampen my spirit. Had a good outing getting 14 wheat pennies, a GM key, tax token, buckle, older Canadian penny and the surprise of the hunt, a Chinese cash coin! They you to Mackaydon for the ID. Emperor Jen Tsung 1796-1820. My hunch is this was lost in the early 1900s based on where it was and the finds surrounding it.

Adjustments.jpg
Adjustments.jpg
Adjustments.jpg
IMG_4778.jpg

11/15/2020

Somehow, I even managed to get out today! My wife held down the fort/puppy so I could meet up with @NoThisIsPatrick for a little while. Took a few tries but we finally landed on a solid spot at the end of our hunt. Top finds for me were the 51-S Rosie and buttons (one looks Naval and the other has a bust of Abe Lincoln?). Also got 12 wheat pennies, a KGVI Canadian penny and 3 tax tokens.

Adjustments.jpg
Adjustments.jpg
Adjustments.jpg

Thanks for looking and keeping up with this long post. Appreciate you all!
-W

Upvote 28

Brendan75

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2017
Pretoria
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800/ Garrett AT pro/ Minelab X- terra 305/ Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi. wow you have found some nice finds. Congrats:icon_thumleft: I have not posted finds for ages on the forum but have been on the forum often reading the stories about everyone's finds. I need to post some of my finds as as soon as i get a chance.

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the Trifecta, Walking Half and other great finds - well done ! :occasion14:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice catch up-a short hunt here and there when life allows-it all adds up. Congrats

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you have a new detecting buddy. My dog loves to dig for ground squirrels when I'm out digging. Someday I hope she kicks something out! I do have to fill in her holes sometimes. Love the Seattle coin and the skull!!

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You made great use of your time! Thanks for getting us caught up with your finds... :thumbsup:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the very productive series of hunts! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread