Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was detecting at the flight 624 crash site this morning, dug up the usual aluminum aircraft pieces. About an hour into the hunt up popped this pendant, I thought it was onyx but when I got it home and washed it and held it up to a light, I can see that it’s red, it’s just blackened by the fire, I guess. I’m thinking that it’s glass since the setting was plated, you can see the plating is nearly all gone due to years under the acidic coal dirt, and the “stone” has lots of scratches. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1605494342.608226.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1605494356.194022.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1605494370.049792.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1605494384.140540.jpg

Upvote 7

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find...and to think it may have belonged to a passenger on that flight.
Even the scraps of aircraft metal are part of a bigger story.
You have a very interesting site to hunt there!!! :o

Hogtown Hunter

Jan 30, 2020
Florida
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mean no disrespect but hunting there seems a little morbid. Like Wildcat said that pendant was probably being worn by a passenger at the time they lost their life. Some places, like cemeteries, are better left to the dead.

OP
OP
Bruce R

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’m more of a realist, the site is NOT a cemetery, in any way shape or form. What I’m doing is no different than someone grubbing around a battlefield and that includes the arkeys with their PHD’s, lotsa people died at Gettysburg so with your line of thinking, it never should have been picked over and all those artifacts in museums and collections should be taken back there and plowed back into the ground. My site has been picked over quite a bit in the last 70 years, 43 people died there and I’m still finding things that others have missed, whether they were wearing it or it was in the luggage I don’t know. I’ve also found pieces of THEM too, a piece of rib, a finger bone, teeth, a kneecap, I have a special spot on the site where I bury those pieces, it’s the base of a pink dogwood tree, how it came to be out there I have no idea.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very sad how that flight went down unnecessarily.

Does anyone here know what the legal requirements are if you are really unearthing human remains at that crash site?

OP
OP
Bruce R

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You would be hard pressed to find anyone to turn it in to, just about everyone would tell you to take it somewhere else. My local magistrate (old friend) told me to re-bury the stuff if I didn’t want it, he said no official would want to waste their time dealing with it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread