Cellar Hole #2 Finds

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of the three cellar holes I have recently found I finally got the chance to spend the day at one yesterday. I have been working a lot of overtime so my hobbies have taken a hit. Cellar Hole #2 is closest to my home and is the only one of the three that is an open field. I figured this would be my best bet for the limited time I had. It was a moderatley successful hunt. In addition to what you see I dug a ton of scrap iron and a few dozen horse and ox shoes. The horse shoes stay buried but for some reason I keep the ox shoes...go figure! I've got a pretty good layout of the field, thanks to my father in law. I know where the house, the two barns, the well and the outhouse were.

The coin is an 1832 Semi Regal Nova Scotia one penny token. This is the first coin in Nova Scotia and I believe Canada to bear the likeness of the monarchy. This was minted shortly after trade token were outlawed in Nova Scotia. It was minted by the Government of Nova Scotia but was not authorized by the Crown. It features King George IV and a Nova Scotia thistle on the reverse. I consider this my best coin find yet!

I also found a few modern 12 gauge slugs and a couple possible musket balls, however they may be modern lead as well. The rosette I found last week when I first went to the field.

Attachments

• Cellar Hole #2 001.jpg
    Cellar Hole #2 001.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 575
  • Cellar Hole #2 014.jpg
    Cellar Hole #2 014.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 571
  • Cellar Hole #2 003.jpg
    Cellar Hole #2 003.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 570
  • Cellar Hole #2 008.jpg
    Cellar Hole #2 008.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 570
Upvote 0
Romeo...nice token and cool relics...gotta be more there so I'd hit the place again...:)

Very nice finds!! Good old cellar holes , always giving up some nice pieces of history! :)

nice relics and coin...

Very impressive finds!

I have a friend who hunts the old loyalist camps in eastern Canada and he digs fabulous stuff all summer.

HH

Badger

all great finds,, watch the round thing in the middle,, could be a jinxer,,,,,,,,,

You had a great hunt there! :) Congrats!

Nana :)

Really cool coin! It should display well after a little soaking. Really nice.!

The Seeker said:
Very nice finds!! Good old cellar holes , always giving up some nice pieces of history! :)
I'd agree after seing that post. But in sweden you may not search such places ( like old camps, fortifications, forts etc.) there is a law that says that such tings are of "cultural memory". or something like that! >:(

Nice finds Romeo.

Man some of your coins come out rough. Not alot you can do with them. Atleast your finding them though.

HH Jer

Glad you could get away from the overtime for a bit for some hunting. IT looks like you got a real nice token and some good relics. Much more there for you I hope.

Rev

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back