Cellar hole question

DrGrip

Apr 12, 2009
North, Texas
Detector(s) used
White's XLT & Quick Draw II
Hello all, Just joined the forum here but have been monitoring this site for quite a while now.

I have some property in North West Texas that I use for radio work and general playing around and have done some detecting on it in the past at the old home site (1879) that is there. I've found the usual odds and ends, but nothing to write home about. Wheaties, Mercs, LOTs of nails, and enough bottle tops and pull tabs to make a car!

This weekend however I did find something out there and stupid me did not have my Garrett with me. I think I found a cellar hole on the back part of the place! This part of the property has been covered in mesquite trees and scrub for the last 12 years I've had the place and it was recently made ready for plowing by the man that leases the area from me. I never went to this part before today.

This is where I need help; what I found is a depression in the ground that looks to be about 3 feet deep and around 8' in diameter. The hole at this time is filled in with old bricks, broken glass (some old blue type and crockery), and general trash. Also some evidence of rattlesnakes (2 sheds) No, I didn't have a camera with me either! :tard:

So, could this be the only cellar hole I've ever seen, or a depression in the ground that it was easy for the old timers to throw trash in? I plan to hunt it next weekend.

Grip

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Those old storm shelters in the Panhandle usually had concrete steps going
down into the void. Several years ago I worked up my nerve to explore one
but after going in far enough to see shelves with old quart bottles against the
wall I saw movement on a shelf. I only took one hard look at that porcupine
before exiting. For some reason there was a fence post planted in the
entrance at the top of the stairs and it left it's mark as I skinned through.

lastleg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread