nevrdundetecting

Sep 26, 2005
Wayne Co., WV
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, White's Prizm III, Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
Pro-Find 15 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey you all. I recently found an old well and cellar hole out in the woods, I cleared out some of the leaves and detected it but got no signals. My question is, should I dig out the cellar hole, is that how they are hunted? After clearing the leaves I found that there are rocks from the walls laying on the floor, so I'm thinking that if I at least clear these rocks out, I may get some signals under there. What do you all think? Do you usually dig the old cellar holes out when hunting them? The house was on a map surveyed in 1901, but that is all that I know about the place.

Thx,

HH

Attachments

• cellar_hole (Small).jpg
    cellar_hole (Small).jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 239
  • well (Small).jpg
    well (Small).jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 206
  • cellar_hole (Small).jpg
    cellar_hole (Small).jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 202
  • well (Small).jpg
    well (Small).jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 195
Upvote 0

dandan

Feb 24, 2006
Are you sure that it was the house or was it possibly an out building? once I determined that I would start outside it to see how much trash there is. Ive dug 1 out and its alot of work (stoves,headboards,big stuff) It looks oldenough to warrent some elbow grease though! good luck!

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Ndd...this latest site that I have been hunting has an old celler too. But...the house wasn't built on the celler. It was a good 500 feet from it. I didn't find anything but zinc lids with the white glass and a couple of old hinges...things like that around it.

Good luck on your hunt!

Nana ;)

OP
OP
N

nevrdundetecting

Sep 26, 2005
Wayne Co., WV
Detector(s) used
Pro-Find 15 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nana40 said:
Hey Ndd...this latest site that I have been hunting has an old celler too. But...the house wasn't built on the celler. It was a good 500 feet from it. I didn't find anything but zinc lids with the white glass and a couple of old hinges...things like that around it.

Good luck on your hunt!

Nana ;)

This house wasn't built on the cellar either, the house was probably 50 to 100 feet away and you have to cross a small stream to get to the cellar. I have also found lots and lots of zinc jar lids with the white inserts and a few with the light blue inserts. I found an old POD (post office dept) button just across the creek from the cellar about a month ago, I posted a pic of the button then, just wish I could find out the age of the button.

I was just asking about hunting the cellar hole because, as you know, there have been lots of good finds made on here while people were hunting those old cellar holes, but what do they mean when they say that? Did they find the stuff actually in the cellar, or just hunting around the old cellar holes? I have hunted the site pretty hard, havent found much but the button, lots of jar lids, junk iron pieces, lots of whatzits, and one no date wheatie, but if people have found good stuff diggin them out then I may try it tomorrow.

HH

Marty-Graw

Feb 8, 2006
Albertville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300
im a big antique nut so if it was me i would dig it out just because i would want to know whats in there...... may not be worth anything but i just like to see

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey, Nevrdun, I was confused too when I started detecting. I always called them foundations but now I call them cellarholes. Cellarhole is just a generic term meaning the rocks and hole where a house, barn, or outbuilding were built.

My best finds have been outside the cellarholes. But if you can move the rocks then do it. I'm not strong enough to clean out some of them that I hunt. But I bet there's some interesting finds inside.

It sounds like you've hunted the site pretty well. Good luck. :)

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey NDD
I have cleared out a few cellar holes but have never found anything good inside them. All of my good finds were outside of the holes, especially where the back lawn would have been. But as you know every sight is different and that one might be full of good stuff. Its always worth a try. Good luck.

OP
OP
N

nevrdundetecting

Sep 26, 2005
Wayne Co., WV
Detector(s) used
Pro-Find 15 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the replies you all, I think that I'll spend my time detecting instead of digging inside the walls as it seems digging inside the cellar would be a waste of time, of which I don't have a lot to spare. I have also made a lot of good finds out around them, I was just confused about the terminology that people use. I think that I'll stick to what I know.

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread