Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey folks thank you all for your opinions on a USA relic I posted just the other day. Got a lot of responses as what it was. Some wags a few very close and Plumbata and Borntolate were on the money and figured out it was a map marker. If you had seen the movie "The Patriot " when Mel and the Colonial were in the tent look at the USA and GR map markers as they were talking about stratergies.
Now my intent here was to educate you to something rarely seen but thanks to Casper who sent me a PM with a question if I had found it the real story emerges and I am the one and hope you guys and gals get educated to fakes out there sold as authentic. Yes indeed today I learned it was a fake .
First of all I would not list a relic on TM and put my name as the finder as I told Casper in the answer to his question so here is the history of the find . In 1999 I was surfing on Ebay and saw a listing of relics said to have been found at a cellar hole in East Hampton, Mass. In the lot were two King George Coppers, early colonial plain buttons, a few dropped musket balls and this USA item I thought might be a French import USA button. The USA item was not highlighted and I asked the seller, his name is Paul and email of Arrowpaul , about that item. He said it was found with the relics, coins and MBs and new nothing more about it. I won the auction for $103 and got the lot in and described the USA relic in my other posting . I enjoyed it for years and finally after knowing it was not a cockade button, button die or refined it to what it probably was a map marker that once had a round piece of wood on it that rotted away over years in the ground. Up until today I believed it to be true. However why I did list it was to get some Feedback if in fact it was not . Casper educated me that he had learned a guy in either Mass or NH were making these as fakes.
It's apparent this guy is good since he used the pattern of a French import button listed in Troiani's button book to make the fakes. So now we are all educated and should be aware if we collect this stuff what to look for. This faker indeed is good and if you know a relic hunter named Arrowpaul now you know the true story. Here are pics f a real Rev WAr officer's USA button used to make these. Scan0400.jpg Scan0401.jpg Scan0404.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 10

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread