cemetaries

certified male

Feb 11, 2008
i have a hobby of doing headstone rubbings and i have been to every graveyard big and small in the county. it dawned on me that people might pull out the old hankie with a few coins falling. in the newer ones there usually is a caretaker, but in the real old ones there isn't. what are the rules/etiquette for hunting here? is it sacreligious or illegal to just start MDing?

-Jones-

Aug 11, 2005
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab GO-FIND 60 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Certified,

I'd never think about detectin a cemetery. My gut tells my there's something disrespectful about it ;)

Congrats on your 1st post ;)

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
Welcome to Tnet. I think it a moral, and personal thing. I personally would not dig in cemetaires. I think about my daddy's grave. If I saw where someone had MD'ed there I would be outraged!

I'm not judging you if you decide too. I'm just telling you the way I feel about it.

Pepper

precise26

Feb 13, 2008
I'd say don't. It would probably feel wrong, you will constantly look over your shoulder, and Im sure if you asked the takers or what not, they would not allow you to.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is/was not uncommon for people to place coins on headstones. I guess the same concept as a wishing well. Goes back to putting pennies on the departed's eyes or placing coins in the grave to pay the ferryman (Charon?) on the River Styx to cross-over into the afterlife/underworld (even Christians keep some respect for the old gods).

I sure wouldn't want someone to be digging around my dad's or other ancestor's grave; or for me to be seen digging around with a trowel in a cemetary. Just a personal thing, I guess, but pretty rude IMHO. "Ghoul" is not a term of endearment.

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Tesoro, Whites DFX, Nokta Impact Pro, Ace 400.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good way to get shot.
Id say no just out of respect for the departed.

radarwill

Feb 8, 2008
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
I would say Taboo. Remember what happened to Jeremiah Johnson for just walking through a burial ground? It could haunt you for the rest of your life.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally I feel it's disgraceful to walk across someones grave, let alone trying to pop a coin out, but that's my own belief.

The other thing that I kind of keep in the back of my mind is, will my actions give the politicos another bullet to fire in the ban the detectorist war. And my actions will affect more than just me.

BTW Welcome! You'll like it here! Lots of knowledgeable and friendly people here.

Fisher

Sep 24, 2007
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Nope...wouldn't do it...bad karma...could also be harmful to the MD'ing community.
BTW, Welcome to TNet!
HH

mike63

Jan 1, 2008
se florida
if i saw someone detecting in a cemetery first thing to pop in my mind would be grave robber with shovel in hand!!!!! just bad all around idea!

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would avoid the Cemetary, but right outside the cemetary is probably ok. A large number of cemetaries (old ones) were located next to churches, do a little research and see, then take your time and look around the outside the boundries and see what you could come up with.

I would avoid the actual cemetary itself for all the reasons mentioned above and its also important to remember when your out detecting your representing all who love this hobbie (addicttion, way of live, reason to live . . . etc ;D )

HH and be careful

PTP

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
i personally wouldn't care if someone was detecting over me, but i would never detect in a cemetery or burial grounds, Ive already had a couple freaky exp. to be messing with that

jonnyrebel00

Nov 9, 2006
Mobile, Al
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett Master Hunter
Thanx Sherman, thats exactly what i was thinking. I started at the bottom to see if maybe this one was different then i came across your post. I still dont understand why people have to ask about it. Im sure that people opinions on here are not going to change anyone personal convictions about whether to do it or not to do it.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thompy said:
i personally wouldn't care if someone was detecting over me,

If you Did Somone Better Dig you Back up Quick :D

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
jonnyrebel00 said:
Thanx Sherman, thats exactly what i was thinking. I started at the bottom to see if maybe this one was different then i came across your post. I still dont understand why people have to ask about it. Im sure that people opinions on here are not going to change anyone personal convictions about whether to do it or not to do it.

jonnyrebel00,

think it was the posters first post. No harm in the asking. ;D

And some of the new members may not have seen the old posts. ::)

Yes, "opinions on here are not going to change" ;D :D :) ::) :-\ :P :P :P

have a good un......
SHERMANVILLE

jonnyrebel00

Nov 9, 2006
Mobile, Al
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett Master Hunter
oh i know it was his first, but it still bothers me the amount of people that have to ask about it. Ill let it be. Thanx again for pulling up the older post for reference for him.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i think you have gotten your answer! ;)....bad juju.

thepoolguy

Jan 17, 2008
hmmm im been racking my brains trying to figure out a place to bury my fortune in gold that you guys would never find...now i know. lol but all aside i agree.... i say its ok to detect there just dont do any digging ...yikes its a grave yard digging there would just not be respectfull.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread