cemetaries

Rd2nowr

Jan 2, 2008
Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, IDX Pro, Sunray XL-1 Probe
First let me say I would not detect in a cemetary, but lets look at this in a hypothetical way we might not have thought of . Lets say we were in the woods doing some detecting and started hitting alot of old coins. Lets say we have already dug several early 1900's and some late 1800's coins. Next thing we notice in the thick undergrowth is what's left of an old wrought iron fence and after looking some more we are actually inside what was an old out of the way cemetary. Do you leave all the coins there or take them and leave? I say this because down here in the deep south you can easily be MDing in the woods and find a headstone. Tim

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
Simple to me, if you want tombstone etchings , fine. If you enjoy old
tombstones & the tranquility, good. But leave the detector at home or
in the car, it's not a place I would want to be seen digging around in.
It's not called a resting ground for no reason. We should allow them that
respect.

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
Rd2nowr said:
First let me say I would not detect in a cemetary, but lets look at this in a hypothetical way we might not have thought of . Lets say we were in the woods doing some detecting and started hitting alot of old coins. Lets say we have already dug several early 1900's and some late 1800's coins. Next thing we notice in the thick undergrowth is what's left of an old wrought iron fence and after looking some more we are actually inside what was an old out of the way cemetary. Do you leave all the coins there or take them and leave? I say this because down here in the deep south you can easily be MDing in the woods and find a headstone. Tim

I have seen many fields in the deep south that have small fences around a few graves in the fields. I have yet to see one in the middle of no where without a marker. If I did run up on one that I did not realize was a grave then saw the marker afterward I would leave the coins and bury them where I dug. I'm not in this hobby to get rich. I'm in it to have fun. I also want to show the world that we who MD are not out to rob.....get rich....instead I want them to know most of us are respectful, have a hobby we love.

All I can say is... to each his own path. I know what my path is. I can tell others how I feel about things such as this topic, but I will not tell you what to do. You have your own path to walk in this life time good or bad. We each have to live with what we do in life.

Pepper

Rd2nowr

Jan 2, 2008
Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, IDX Pro, Sunray XL-1 Probe
Pepper, I total agree with you on this one. I recently found an old family cemetary in the woods near where I work. I have permission to detect the land and even though I haven't found any thing but trash, I am going to stay away from that place. The only marker in the small plot is an old wooden cross that is mostly rotted away. This town predates 1880 and I know there has to be some good stuff hiding in the ground, I just have to find it. BUT I will not be going back anywhere near the burial plot. My grandma was Creek Indian and taught us as small kids that those places are sacred grounds! Take care, Tim

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois
Get permission, don't dig over the graves. Good luck, and who really gives a crap what people on some website say. I would be willing to bet most of these people would have no problem detecting Gettysburg or a sunken ship. Gettysburg is what I would consider sacred ground. A sunken ship is nothing but a grave at sea.

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
Jim, I am glad your path leads you away from a burial ground. My mama's , mama was Cherokee. She taught me many things in her short life time. I was young but her words have always stayed with me. I was six years old when she died....but I can remember her teaching's better than my parental grandmother (who was blue blood and could trace her family back to 1600's and lived to be 92).

I wish you luck in your hunts. Look at my arrowheads. Most where made by Creek Indians. They where artist.

HH,
Pepper

OP
OP
C

certified male

Feb 11, 2008
had a day off to check replies. i figured someone had posited this question before. thanks for bearing with me. i felt hesitant so that's why i asked. good advice about the churches nearby.. i think i'll try a couple of those. i agree with most of you. guess there are plenty of other spots. thanks.

seekdestry

Greenie
Feb 25, 2008
I don't think I would MD in a cemetary... there's just something creepy about it... :o Even though the dearly departed have long since moved on, it's just a bit too creepy for me. :-[ Also, I think it is illegal to be doing any digging in a cemetary. Maybe if the coins were lying on the surface... :-\ It just depends on what your morals and beliefs (and your local law) tell you. ;)

Raven

TeddyMexico

Greenie
Feb 25, 2008
Indianapolis
I'm going searching near an old cemetary sometime in the upcoming months. I just started hanging out with this girl and I was talking with her about my new hobby, and she told me that she has a friend who owns like 30 acres that is actually near where we live (indianapolis). She said that way out in the middle of his property is a very small cemetary, 5-10 headstones, and the only date she can recall is 1832. I'm assuming that this area was once populated, or at least home to a family...so I'm excited to hunt that area. I will refrain from digging on or near the actual gravesites. How close is too close? 10, 15 foot perimeter around the headstones?

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FYI. In Maryland, my state, you connot move a grave without approval. To help reinforce this reg. they also say you may not dig up a grave. Even though you may only go a couple of inches down to retrieve a signal you will catch a lot of flack and probably at minimal end up in court if caught. Legal matters aside I think it depends on "RESPECT". Basically what you have for others, the deceased, family, etc. With this in mine I do not hunt on graves, but I do go about as close as 10 feet to a clearly marked edge. I do like to detect any dirt (Parking?) areas next to graveyards and find they are as productive and not near as contreversal.

Ed D.

windrun

Oct 30, 2007
Eudora, Kansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 50
Well, I see the newspapers and TV news, but it is very rare number happens...hmm, sometime, people look for oldest coins in the field, but other people saw them and call the police to caught them.

I see few places have the fence up and lock the gate, that why, several people were hunt one the field as use metal detector on the field several times, steal or any damage on the headstones, etc.

Richard

Iron Maiden

Mar 2, 2008
St. Joseph, Missouri
Detector(s) used
White's 6000/Di PRO sl and Classic III
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Personally, I would never hunt in a cemetary. Outside of it yes, but not inside. I just think it wouldn't be right.

wormnblack

Jan 8, 2007
Dyersburg, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
The dreaded cemetary post. You've got guts, man! Props to you!

I've often wondered about this myself. I've even had co workers and some ppl I know (who know I'm into this hobby) suggest an old graveyard here and there. This is coming from folks who have never even held a detector. I wouldn't say dig the graves themselves. That does seem disrespectful. But I don't see what's wrong with going around them. I'm sure the residents won't care! It's not them I'd be afraid of. It's the living I'd be worried about.

Besides, archeaologists dig up dead folks all the time and we like hearing/reading about those. The same with Indian/Egyptian burial grounds, sunken ships, etc. Maybe your family bought so and so plot(s). However, you didn't buy what's around it!!! Whatever.

Anyways...to each their own. Best check to see if it's even legal should you wanna give it a try. Cheers!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread