vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
baspinall said:
How about meeting in Byrnesville at the cemetary. It's right before you get into Centralia on the left (the large cemetary). Assuming most of us are heading there from the south side. Carpooling????? Brian

My mother-in-law still lives in Centralia. We run up every few weeks. Please - whatever you do - leave everything the way you found it (ground cover). The folks (many are very very old) take great pride in their town and have many family members buried in the cementaries. I'm afraid if they see you swinging your detectors in the Cementaries (if that is your plan) they will get very upset. If possible - please try to avoid the cementaries. If you like - I can let the Mayor know you are coming so they don't wonder what is going on. If not - I won't say anything (just trying to help).

OP
OP
baspinall

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vpnavy - I can appreciate your concern. I think I speak for everyone when I say we will Not be digging in the cemetaries. Just a convienient meeting spot that is easily identifiable. As far as letting the mayor know, I will let others voice thier opinions.

Brian

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
baspinall said:
vpnavy - I can appreciate your concern. I think I speak for everyone when I say we will Not be digging in the cemetaries. Just a convienient meeting spot that is easily identifiable. As far as letting the mayor know, I will let others voice thier opinions.

Brian

Super!

coop

Greenie
Apr 2, 2005
I have a few concerns about your planned hunt. About a year ago, the headlines on the front page of the local paper was about Treasure Hunters trespassing on public property in the town of Catawissa, which is only about 10 miles away. They failed to get permission. As a result, the borough has banned metal detecting. This article has left a bad image among the public. I'm sure the remaining residents of Centralia read the article. If you're going to hunt there with such a large group of detectorists without consulting with the Mayor or someone of authority to see if it is okay, you may be asking for trouble. You're assuming that you can hunt Centralia without any type of permission. One of the main Code of Ethics for a detectorist is to always get permission. A few months ago our club was able to get permission to hunt a well known site that had metal detecting banned for 30 years. We went through the channels and explained what we wanted to do. People have sneaked into this site in the past and have been caught and thrown off the property. We had about 20 members of our club there for a 2 day hunt. some nice finds were made by all. The local paper came and did a very positive story about our hunt. We sort of smoothed out the bad image of detectorists with this article. But, it was stressed in the article about getting proper permission before detecting a site. I hate to see some of you driving such a long distance to come to Centralia and then getting told you can't detect there. I think you should at least check with the Mayor before Sunday. Just my opinion.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vpnavy said:
baspinall said:
How about meeting in Byrnesville at the cemetary. It's right before you get into Centralia on the left (the large cemetary). Assuming most of us are heading there from the south side. Carpooling????? Brian

My mother-in-law still lives in Centralia. We run up every few weeks. Please - whatever you do - leave everything the way you found it (ground cover). The folks (many are very very old) take great pride in their town and have many family members buried in the cementaries. I'm afraid if they see you swinging your detectors in the Cementaries (if that is your plan) they will get very upset. If possible - please try to avoid the cementaries. If you like - I can let the Mayor know you are coming so they don't wonder what is going on. If not - I won't say anything (just trying to help).

The Cemeteries are Fenced In & i'm sure Nobody Has any Intention
of hunting them. I see no mention of that.

Mayor ?

Didn't know She was still there.
Or is there a New one ?

probably wouldn't hurt to find out her opinion
before so many drive so far.

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lenny makes a good point, and I think thats a good idea. I don't know if the Mayor of Centralia still lives there, but I'm sure the local residents can tell me. Jeff, I can stop by Centralia Monday and find out and perhaps get the OK with oral and written permission or perhaps NO WAY before everyone makes the trip. Let me know today before I go back to work, or maybe you wanna do it................Rich

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PLEASE READ THIS; There may be No way for anyone to give or deny permission.

Saturday September 21, 2002

"With every

thing that's happened to residents, to

lose their identity now would be a great

slap. Our houses are condemned. The

only thing we own is our furniture and

the clothes on our backs
."

Mayor Lamar Mervine, who has lived in Centralia for all of his 86 years, agreed they wouldn't give up the name without a fight.

I'm almost Posative they had a Woman Mayor when the town was first
Destroyed. If still alive & the Mayor he is now 92

http://www.centraliapa.com/news.htm

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:
The Cemeteries are Fenced In & i'm sure Nobody Has any Intention of hunting them. I see no mention of that.

Roger on the Cementaries. I was talking to a member of the counsel about my new "hobby" and the first thing mentioned was someone had gone through the Cementary and left holes all over the place. Naturally, I explained that just about all Detectorists ensure that everything is left the way it was found. Unfortunately, there are a few...that was why the first concern was the possibility of hunting the Cementaries.

jeff of pa said:
Mayor? Didn't know She was still there. Or is there a New one ?

As soon as the wife calls - I'll ask her to find out who could be contacted.

jeff of pa said:
probably wouldn't hurt to find out her opinion before so many drive so far.

Checking...

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
at its peak the coal mining town was home to 2,761 blue collar people. It was a prosperous town operating its own school district with elementary schools and a high school within its precincts along with two Catholic parochial schools. Centralia once had 5 hotels, 7 churches, 27 saloons, 2 theatres, a bank, a post office, and 14 general and grocery stores.

Population
2006 11 people

mike in pa

May 6, 2007
stroudsburg pa
Detector(s) used
whites dfx/xlt
I can assure everyone that NO ONE in my group is willing to hunt in a cemetery,if I find something that I think that can be returned to a resident of the area I will make all efforts to return it,if someone has the time to ask,or see if it would be ok for us to hunt there that would be great!!! if it is a problem, there is an old fairground about an half hour away that is a park now and metal detecting is allowed,I will have to find the name of it again and I will post it later

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got off the phone with the PA State Police in Bloomsburg beacuse they patrol Centralia, and spoke to the Corporal there. Informed him of our plans of 15+ personnel meeting on June 22 at 9AM at the former St. Ignatius church to do some metal detecting the whole day. He said he didn't see any problems, and asked me if I knew about the new regulations concerning metal detecting, I asked him to refresh my memory, he said we have to split anything of value..........I said yea I hear ya, and had a good laugh.........SO ITS A GO in case anyone wants to draw attention to us.

Just got back from Centralia. Talked to garage personnel.........Approximately 6 homes left occupied in Centralia. Lots of mowed areas, but lots of open NON-MOWED low grass areas. If you can't find a place to detect, you are blind. No local officials live in Centralia, Connyngham Township Police Department (one officer) municipal building is in another village/city but they patrol Centralia. Nobody is around, surely is a ghost town indeed. Here are a few pics taken on 6/16/08

1. Our meeting place in the front of where St. Ignatius church once stood.
2. Present day main street (both sides of the street once lined with buildings)
3. Russian Orthodox church vacant but still standing
4. Russian Orthodox rectory vacant, grounds are mowed
5. Me (Rich in Central PA) and my Harley, across the street from where we are meeting. In back of me is where the school once stood, and the old baseball field.

See yas Sunday around 9..............................Rich

Attachments

• Pic#1.jpg
    Pic#1.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 923
  • Pic#2.jpg
    Pic#2.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 920
  • Pic#3.jpg
    Pic#3.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 911
  • Pic#4.jpg
    Pic#4.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 900
  • Pic#5.jpg
    Pic#5.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 903

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Centralia PA Permission

OK - Just got off the phone with the wife.

She said that any private property (i.e., grass has been mowed, etc.) and the old Sheriff/Fire Department (grass also mowed) is off limits. You will find that any home that is standing is considered private property and is still occupied. Any other property (has not been mowed, etc.) is ok. FYI - when they removed a home - they backfilled the property and planted wild grass. That included the old school, etc. The wife assured them that the property would be returned to the way it was found.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK Sounds like Avoid Mowed areas & Homes.

Sounds cool to me.

OP
OP
baspinall

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds Good to me as well. Thanks guys for taking the time to look into this. Thanks for the newer photos Rich!

See ya there.

Brian

coop

Greenie
Apr 2, 2005
Rich, Thanks for checking and getting permission to hunt Centralia. Good Luck there. I would love to join in, but I'll be down at the Treasure Fest Hunt in Lancaster over the weekend. I did make some nice finds a few years ago. At the time, they had a police officer in town and I gained permission from him. The area where I did good at was the area on the Northwest side of town on the hill overlooking the town. There was some trashy areas, but the spots around the trees were the most productive for me.

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK Lenny, good luck at Lancaster. Jeff, Dave, and myself will be up Moonlake, so we'll see ya then...............Rich

OP
OP
baspinall

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500