Chatter

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Mid Atlantic / East coast
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If your ground is super low like 70s and low 80s it can get really annoying in tracking. Mine chatters like crazy on many of my low GB sites so I find myself using manual at those places and jack it up a few clicks until it stops or at least subsides.

OP
OP
C

carb897

May 2, 2012
woodward, oklahoma
Detector(s) used
excal 11 , explorer se, garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ground would go from 90, 80,s into the low 70's and back . It seemed like it changed to much back and forth to try and set it manually .
The thing I was wondering if I would miss any deeper signals . I have the audio response set at 4 thinking the fainter signals would at least come in louder.
The biggest thing it's just annoying cause it sounds like a target then you sweep back and forth and nothing . Guess it's just something I need to get used to to tell the difference between signals and ground chatter .

OP
OP
C

carb897

May 2, 2012
woodward, oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also lowering the sensitivity didn't help of a different frequency .

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If I were you on those sites (usually just a site here and there where there is a problem) I'd just set it at like manual 85-87 and leave it there. It'll take that chatter away. I cant deal with all that chatter especially since I use no disc. Its just too much noise for me. I run my audio response at 6 and just turn the volume down on the headphones to compensate. That brings those deep signals up loud.

Normally (more than 95% of the time) I run manual GB roughly 2 full numbers below actual. But never below about 84.

mtsheron

Jun 6, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+; and Lesche digging tools! Tesoro Compadre (daughter's machine)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I get chatter but I track and it suppose to make those changes as you know for the GB. I am just use to it and like you stated......great targets still hit hard over the light chatter.

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeah, normally the chatter is ok but if you get ground into the 70s the chatter is almost as if someone spilled a box of BBs on the ground. Thats madness right there. lol

OP
OP
C

carb897

May 2, 2012
woodward, oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I noticed when the gb numbers got down in the 70,s even seen 67 was when it was really chatty and annoying.

mtsheron

Jun 6, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't think my GB ever drops out of the high 80's. I live in a area of NC with high mineralization and iron in the ground. I get that if it makes sense low geiger counter chatter at times and most often. I do hit areas that the Deus goes quiet for a moment and it makes me think the machine cut off because it is rare.:laughing7:

OP
OP
C

carb897

May 2, 2012
woodward, oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in western Oklahoma . My dads yard where I seen the numbers going crazy like that could have been from all the years of fertilizing and planting different trees and grasses . Also topsoil and such through out the years . That's my guess anyways.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First try adjusting the frequency, then the sensitivity and then possibly the silencer. Personally I like a bit of chatter. I know shes alive!!! lol

mtsheron

Jun 6, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First try adjusting the frequency, then the sensitivity and then possibly the silencer. Personally I like a bit of chatter. I know shes alive!!! lol

That's me Bart. I don't mind he so called "blips" that are constant because when you hit a target she sounds off for sure!

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's me Bart. I don't mind he so called "blips" that are constant because when you hit a target she sounds off for sure!

Agreed! When it hit a good target there is no question it is not just chatter.

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just had my lowest ground reading yet on the Deus.

When you get ground in the 60s and 70s it does no good whatsoever to adjust sensitivity or frequency. I tried. ONLY ground balance adjustment works in this case. This is what the poster is referring to. Unless a user has experienced this he/she wont understand what its like. It is not the simple chatter you might hear because the Deus is set really "hot".

It doesnt happen often but when it does the Deus becomes unusable without jacking up GB to alleviate the chatter.

I'd be willing to bet even the most experienced Deus user wouldnt be able to stand the kind of chatter that I'm speaking of.

Peace.

OP
OP
C

carb897

May 2, 2012
woodward, oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I turned up the audio response to 5 and that really helped in hearing targets in between the chatter .

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I didnt have any EMI where I was. No power lines for a half mile in this field. Worse spot ever. I was thinking of getting a gopro and if I do may record what its like in a short video. Its IMPOSSIBLE to use tracking GB in this spot.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had chatter problems in the past, but yesterday was the WORST. I was at a century old farmhouse that should have had excellent finds, but unfortunately it seems to have been hit hard in the past. I found six pennies, mostly from the 1980's.

The chatter was so intense I thought maybe my Deus was screwed up. In a 40ft stretch the GB would go from the high 80's to the mid 60's. I was constantly adjusting, and the noise was unreal. I only use tracking when in a spot free of junk because obviously you don't want to track the iron. Frequency and sensitivity adjustment did nothing to help.

What do you do when the GB is always rapidly changing?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread