Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had chatter problems in the past, but yesterday was the WORST. I was at a century old farmhouse that should have had excellent finds, but unfortunately it seems to have been hit hard in the past. I found six pennies, mostly from the 1980's.

The chatter was so intense I thought maybe my Deus was screwed up. In a 40ft stretch the GB would go from the high 80's to the mid 60's. I was constantly adjusting, and the noise was unreal. I only use tracking when in a spot free of junk because obviously you don't want to track the iron. Frequency and sensitivity adjustment did nothing to help.

What do you do when the GB is always rapidly changing?

I pay little to no attention to ground balance. I run it at manual 85 all the time. My ground is usually not mineralized. EMI is more annoying than a little chatter from the detector reading the ground at times. I hardly ever use any disc too

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pay little to no attention to ground balance. I run it at manual 85 all the time. My ground is usually not mineralized. EMI is more annoying than a little chatter from the detector reading the ground at times. I hardly ever use any disc too

Thanks for the response toasted. I think EMI was part of the problem, there were big power lines close to the farm. However even far away on the other side of the farm the detector was chattering so bad it really tired my brain out.

I was out today at a different spot and everything ran nice and quiet. The only problem today was zero finds in four hours.

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've had chatter problems in the past, but yesterday was the WORST. I was at a century old farmhouse that should have had excellent finds, but unfortunately it seems to have been hit hard in the past. I found six pennies, mostly from the 1980's.

The chatter was so intense I thought maybe my Deus was screwed up. In a 40ft stretch the GB would go from the high 80's to the mid 60's. I was constantly adjusting, and the noise was unreal. I only use tracking when in a spot free of junk because obviously you don't want to track the iron. Frequency and sensitivity adjustment did nothing to help.

What do you do when the GB is always rapidly changing?

Some places are just impossible. I have a spot beside some poultry houses which has produced loads of colonial stuff and a few cut pistareens too but the Deus is useless there. No matter what, it just won't work worth a damn. My old DFX worked ok and the CTX 3030 kicked butt there.

As per GB, like I was saying, I try to run as low as possible - its level ALWAYS dictated by the site I'm on. If I were to arbitrarily run GB at 85 or 90 and ignore the site mineralization, it'd cost me signals. Thats a guarantee. I've seen it proven time and time again in the field and online by hunters that also figured it out for themselves.

One thing tho, my wifes Deus is a little different than mine. It doesn't seem to work exactly the same as mine with the exact same settings... so I guess its what a user can squeeze out of his/her machine at a given site on a given day.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Deus became very chatty in the field across the street from me only after they spread chicken manure on it. Farm fields in general tend to be a little more chatty and a bit more difficult to get good depth. Who knows what theyre spreading/spraying on them.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a place like that its a spray field and its unhuntable between the power lines and spray the machine goes crazy and I noticed it was worse early in the morning and cleared up later in the day. Cant stand to hunt places like that.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Plus if your in an area of the field contaminated with iron(where you want to be) your not going to get as much depth anyway

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My Deus became very chatty in the field across the street from me only after they spread chicken manure on it. Farm fields in general tend to be a little more chatty and a bit more difficult to get good depth. Who knows what theyre spreading/spraying on them.
Well, whatever it is it turns the silver purple black. Back in the early 90s the 300 year old silver wasn't like that. I miss those days, when they plowed the fields A LOT more.

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Plus if your in an area of the field contaminated with iron(where you want to be) your not going to get as much depth anyway
Yes, but that is the exact reason for the enhanced settings. You can eke out goodies from between all that iron. The Deus' fully adjustable interface makes it a monster on these spots.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, whatever it is it turns the silver purple black. Back in the early 90s the 300 year old silver wasn't like that. I miss those days, when they plowed the fields A LOT more.
Yes unfortunately it is very rare to see a field deeply plowed anymore. I've pulled around twenty 19th century silvers from a field by me and it kills me to know there are at least that many still out there masked by iron or too deep to detect

Bill W.

Tenderfoot
Jun 19, 2016
Western Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Explorer, Makro Racer & White's TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Deus usually GBs in the 70's. Where are you running your silencer? I usually put my on 0 now instead of -1. That helps me hear deep coins and it doesn't seem to affect depth. I think that you're missing targets because of the chatter. I know I was. Now, the faint and deep coins are easier to pick out. If the silencer doesn't help with the chatter then I will also back off on the sensitivity to 80-87. I still chatters some but not near as bad as it did before.

-Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread