Cheapest and best metal detector for coins and jewelry 150 dollars or lower

tlowery04

Apr 29, 2011
Cashion Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White Eagle II, Minelab ETrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
scour craigslist i bet you could find a decent used ace 250 or something for that price. as far as new, you could go with some off brands but i would say look at craigslist in your area.

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
A used Garrett Ace 250 is about that price. As for other brands, well there is the bounty hunter, if you can get a hold of a platinum it's a superb detector. Also the Teknetics Delta 4000 is very good. Obviously you got to find them second hand. Just remember to have fun detecting and don't give up if you don't find much stuff as you start, it's normal, after you get good at it, goodies will start showing more and more often.

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Look at the Tesoro Compadre, its a great detector and runs about $160 new. You may even be able to get one cheaper depending on the kind of deals that are out there. It's not a visual display but its got some power and an ability to go deep. If I was looking for a new detector around that price, that's the one I would go with, you wouldn't be sorry.

just my 2cents

HH
PTP

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Compadre was already mentioned.

The White's Coinmaster is a bit more than $150, they run $180 but are an excellent value. You might be able to find a used one for around 150.

Bounty Hunter Tracker IV from Hobbylobby can usually be had for around $70 shipped with 40% coupon. Sometimes the coupon code is right on the website, other times you can usually Google it and find a working code.

A Chinese made MD1023 sold under many different brands for around $100. The quality is a bit cheap, but they actually work pretty good. Expect depth to be around 6 inches.

olfacere

Feb 22, 2013
Georgia, US
Detector(s) used
Tesoro MicroMax Silver
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know if you're still looking for input, but the Tesoro Compadre (mentioned above by others) is the cheapest thing that can be called a real metal detector. If your ceiling is $150, then your only real options are the Compadre (which is made in the USA and comes with a lifetime warranty, if purchased new) or buying a better model used. White's Coinmaster isn't the worst thing ever built, but White's put a lot more effort into their more expensive product lines. I'm impressed by the minimalist philosophy that Tesoro uses to make cheap, but high-performing detectors. Put anything else that costs $150 new next to a Compadre and there is no competition.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread