Cherry picking teller wins my banner

WormtownFJR

Jan 27, 2009
So, everyone who cannot stand cherry picking tellers (the ones who do it in front of you) should not read this.

I'm in a local dump branch depositing 1k of dimes and a small bag of halves garnered while cold calling. I finish the dimes and start dumping the halves and the first half in trips the bag. That one always gets me laughing because it lets me know someone else been dumping (as it has happened multiple times at this branch). The cute little teller that changed the dime bag and cleared a couple of jams is replaced by one of the office guys. He walked by me earlier and made idle chit chat. He remarks saying that this is their favorite bag. I ask him why and he takes a second and replies it is always variable because it takes $1 and .50s. After he gets done replacing the full bag he puts the one on a nearby counter and reaches in and STARTS PULLING OUT COINS!!!! I’m thinking "holy cr@p, he is not going to... Sure enough he pulls out a 68; thwacking it on the counter and proudly announcing it to me. Suspending my utter disbelief and shock (and wanting to show off) I said to him as he’s reaching into the bag “the next one you’re going to pull is a 90%. I heard it”. Sure enough, the next one he pulls is a 64. My vitriol starting to rise I walk away to process my transaction. He walked into one of the other offices to show one of his office dwelling coworkers and I am thinking to myself "this is what your boss pays you to do"?

Anyway, what would you do? I am leaning towards reporting him. Not because I am a greedy coin hunter, but that had to be the most unprofessional display I have seen by a bank employee. He removed coins from a bag and as far a I could tell did not replace them (Isn't that theft?). So there actually may be proof to my story should I report him. Thoughts?

G

Upvote 0

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this situation is a little different from the typical cherrypicking teller because the guy at issue may be stealing (rather than exchanging), but I still lean toward not reporting the guy. You don't have anything to gain and, while stealing is stealing, you saw him make off with a whopping dollar - not exactly grand larceny. You also don't know if he is going to throw some clad in the bag later. Better to see if you can make lemonade from lemons and, next time you are in the bank, use the silver coins as an entree to talk with him and see if he has any he would be willing to sell from his "collection". You'll pay way over face for sure, but maybe still get a good deal since you can give him cash on the spot and save him the trouble of selling a few coins here and there. He may also not know the true silver value and, even if he does, maybe he sells you a key date Walker or something for close to melt. Any Morgans or Peace dollars would be a great deal at melt.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If he didnt replace then ya thats theft- they print the receipt (atleast all the coin counters I dump do) and put them in the bags to reconcile with the couriers- so the count will be off what the courier gets and not fully credit the bank/CU
I would def talk to the manager and ask if it is ok in regards to company policy for the tellers to take coins out of the bags-

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

treeslayer

Apr 9, 2010
forget about it and be happy to have a place to dump. if he is stealing , it will catch up to him with out your help. HH

mr.landpirate

Dec 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
almost all the tellers i talk to know and keep all the silver they find, perks of the job imho. I just tell them if you get ready to sell i'll beat the coin dealers price and i come to you. LP

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At my dump bank tellers cannot pick from the bags. I've seen so much silver in the bags at times and nobody could touch the coins if they want to keep their jobs. There are like 4 cameras angled at the coin machine too.

SilverHoarder07

Oct 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If he has a shared passion for coins you might be able to chit chat your way to a box order. Just because he didnt replace the 2 in front of you doesn't keen he is stealing. I don't know of anyone that would have 2 halfs on hand in their pocket or wallet, especially at work. Lets not jump to conclusions.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
my CRH'n buddy Newt Gingrich has a tip for dealing with these cherry pick'n tellers. "He says, just buy a google glass replica and "I wouldnt take that coin if I were you, I'm always recording. *points to temple* see the blinking light?" he said, to make sure you tell them its illegal too. "Slowly put the coin back on the counter, exchange it with me and let's just pretend this never happened

newtgingrichgoogleglass.gif

theekman

Jan 1, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't report. Like others have said just strike up a convo about it next time and see if he wants to sell anything

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think all CRHers who get upset about sniping tellers and talk about things like 'reporting them for theft' are very childish. It's part of the game. You would do the same thing. You guys must have all kinds of things in your life that get you upset.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
I think all CRHers who get upset about sniping tellers and talk about things like 'reporting them for theft' are very childish. It's part of the game. You would do the same thing. You guys must have all kinds of things in your life that get you upset.

If its a game the goal is to win it. There is only one way to deal with these tellers and you know it.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Let it go. You stand nothing to gain and everything to lose.

He probably exchanges coins out of the bag before sealing it up. What do you care? It's not like you had a shot at them anyway. Sorry, but this looks like sour grapes to me.

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Next time ask the manager if you can buy the bag. Then ask him when the bags are replaced are they suppose to be sealed at the counter. You'll find out yes. If some dude takes a dime out what else has he taken. If you know anything about accounting 1 dime lost can end up days looking for it.

Eminem

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Motor City
Detector(s) used
Not sure
Primary Interest:
Other
my CRH'n buddy Newt Gingrich has a tip for dealing with these cherry pick'n tellers. "He says, just buy a google glass replica and "I wouldnt take that coin if I were you, I'm always recording. *points to temple* see the blinking light?" he said, to make sure you tell them its illegal too. "Slowly put the coin back on the counter, exchange it with me and let's just pretend this never happened

newtgingrichgoogleglass.gif

Homie I personally like to bring a Sarah Palin-look-a-like with me to the bank. I tell them I need their silver for political reasons...
maxresdefault[1].jpg

Eminem

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Motor City
Detector(s) used
Not sure
Primary Interest:
Other
forget the look-alike, I'd bring the real deal.

I sayz it once and I sayz it again, we can, we could, and we will. Let's not forget we have so much silver we can bankrupt and entire city we can easily have that arranged

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Should have congratulated him and asked to buy the rest of the bag lol.

coinhunter2013

Aug 4, 2013
People like this guy use to really irritate me. Not just in this hobby but anywhere. Although now that I'm older and have gotten a little wiser I find life a lot less stressful when I keep moving.

Graceful

Jan 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If he is taking without replacing, than that is wrong! But I figure he will get caught without your help. Maybe if there is a next time, you could offer a half dollar "for the bag" and something "for you to keep"?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread