Cherrypicking Teller

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
I spend 5 hours on a bank run and only get 4 40%ers [still checking the dimes]. The one bank that i see some 90%ers the teller starts to cherry pick while i am trying to buy them. No i dont have a problem with tellers collecting just with a teller who is getting paid to their job not cherrypick on the customers time. Waiting to cherrypick when a customer is asking for the halves is unprofesional.

Upvote 0

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Let her cherrypick your dumps next time. Get some old crusty hand-roll wrappers. Label your dumps, '64, 65-69, etc. Watch her salivate as you pass across the dumps.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
I agree, if tellers want to take for themselves when the coins first come in that is fine.

But to take them after you come in and ask for halves, while you are sitting there watching, seems wrong. I would almost venture to say at that point it might be worth complaining to the manager, and I normally wouldn't recommend that.

Jim

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009
I would be going ape shit as you said it is very unprofessional, I would just cross that bank off my list, so many banks around

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This would get me a tad upset, too. It is highly unprofessional. Geez! At least you have the where-with-all not to complain. Not sure I would bite my tongue! But, I would.

apush :read2:

Kauka

Apr 22, 2010
i vote for the idea of intentionally mis-labelling your rolls as you dump them on her
it'd be a choice reaction to see

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
You know... You could just cherry pick the ones she just handed you and then at that point refuse them except this 1 and say thanks for nothing but I'll take this 1, and react as if you had just found the holy grail, maybe do a little happy dance, and say it's an error coin worth a thousand bucks.

Hows that for turning the tables. Should put her in her place. What do you got to lose?

Just a thought.

Mojo

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like Mojo's idea best. Especially the dance. If the teller has time in front of the customer to cherrypick, the customer should be afforded the same courtesy (lol).

apush :read2:

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009
coinmojo said:
You know... You could just cherry pick the ones she just handed you and then at that point refuse them except this 1 and say thanks for nothing but I'll take this 1, and react as if you had just found the holy grail, maybe do a little happy dance, and say it's an error coin worth a thousand bucks.

Hows that for turning the tables. Should put her in her place. What do you got to lose?

Just a thought.

Mojo

ROFL thats hilarious

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
do the reverse mind melt -- error coin -- fake out -- when they sit and "cherry pick" in front of you , its a "power trip" --see I can screw you by taking out the "valuible silver" right in front of you --and theres nothing you can do about it , nanny nanny bo bo * --to them the thought of giving away a big money high value coin would be crushing . --- so reject all but the one -- but then yell YES -- big bucks ~~~ a ---------------error coin --been looking for this one for years !!! (look up one ahead of time that if they look it up would be worth a bunch --say its that one ) -- mind freak em.

chow

Feb 25, 2010
MIDWEST
i have had this happen and immediately ask for the bank mananger (NOT the teller manager, because they are usually in on it). then i ask the manager if they have any polices in place that specifically allow their tellers to determine what coins customers get and what coins THEY can keep. i have working in the banking industry for 20+ years and it's pretty easy to call the cherrypickers out and get what you want. i only do this when i am on road trips and am certain i won't be back any time soon. i do not do this at my regular banks where i get my boxes - these are the ones i bring donuts to and the ones who are watching out for me ;D

gold eye

Jan 2, 2010
tampa fl
Detector(s) used
garret masterhunter 7x ace 250
I had the same problem with a teller the next week i came in with 100 dollars in halves and turned them into another teller i had marked the rolls 64 as i was leaving i heard the other teller say what did he turn in she walked over a said ill take all of them i had a big smile all the way to my car. RON

WormtownFJR

Jan 27, 2009
I find that all things being equal, dump banks are harder to find than supply banks. I think you should go buy a hand cart and load them up. That little incident you had should ease any guilt you have about dropping 5k in halves on a bank.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread