Electricbutter

Jul 4, 2017
Turners Falls Ma
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this coin with a square hole in it today. The round coin with square hole google search is a bit overwhelming. Does anyone know what I have? Thanks

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1546660088.468207.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1546660113.598099.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1546660142.306427.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1546662260.502289.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 7

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's called a Chinese cash coin. There were many brought here with the Chinese that came here to help build our railroads and other jobs that no one else would do for so cheaply a wage.

Raider19962

Mar 4, 2018
Delaware, The First State
Detector(s) used
White's, Technetics, Fisher M, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, Chinese for sure. The characters on the coin, if you can make them out, will tell you where and when it comes from, which province, etc., but it is quite a challenge to figure it out, unless you read Chinese. If you get a Krauss World Coins catalog from 1800 to 1900, it'll likely be listed there. Good luck. Also be aware they were and are still counterfeited by the Chinese.

OP
OP
Electricbutter

Electricbutter

Jul 4, 2017
Turners Falls Ma
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's called a Chinese cash coin. There were many brought here with the Chinese that came here to help build our railroads and other jobs that no one else would do for so cheaply a wage.

This is great information m! Thank you

OP
OP
Electricbutter

Electricbutter

Jul 4, 2017
Turners Falls Ma
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, Chinese for sure. The characters on the coin, if you can make them out, will tell you where and when it comes from, which province, etc., but it is quite a challenge to figure it out, unless you read Chinese. If you get a Krauss World Coins catalog from 1800 to 1900, it'll likely be listed there. Good luck. Also be aware they were and are still counterfeited by the Chinese.

This is great! I’ll get the catalog. Thanks

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is what the other two members said it is. They were quite common, but they are still a nice find.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find first time I found one I was hoping it was some coin from the 1600s Well done

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is what the other two members said it is. They were quite common, but they are still a nice find.

Very true, and it does tell you that you might be in a good area. Always happy to find one.

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found found a few of those in yards over the years. I found one at a rummage sale as a kid and my mother told me that they were used as a fashion decoration in the 1920s and 30s.

If you google Chinese cash coins and choose the Calgary Coin reference you can find info on your coin. Good luck and keep swingin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread