Chinese or japanese coin! Is it gold?

koolaidsmile

May 17, 2012
Came across this coin I got in a vintage lot and it looks like it might be gold? Anyone know anymore about it?

image-3411489165.jpg

image-1257087360.jpg

Kathy (koolaidsmile) :-)

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not that I'm any kind of expert on oriental coins, but it looks similar to a chinese 'cash' coin. The wheat sheaf on the upper picture looks familiar, but a quick look through some of my coins didn't find a match. I was just getting ready to shut down for the night, and will check more carefully in the AM. Not to bring up the obvious, but did you test it for gold content? Also it would help to know the size and weight. If it is Chinese it shouldn't be to hard to track down, they didn't much change the design of their coins for a couple of centuries. A good place to check for coin identification is numista.com. It's been a while since I've been there, but I believe I've got the name right. I'll check back in the AM.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
koolaidsmile

koolaidsmile

May 17, 2012
That coin looks very similar a lot of the symbols are the same. It's a exact match for the 2 symbols on the front of the coin and some of the symbols on the back match until you get to the bottom of the coin the symbols are different. The 5 yen coin the symbols are evenly spread out! On my coin the symbols are a bit different and more mushed together! Thanks for the input though at least you have me on the right track now

Upvote 0
OP
OP
koolaidsmile

koolaidsmile

May 17, 2012
I believe your correct looking at other coins that are 5 yen but I think the year is off

Upvote 0

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
1977 (Showa 52) Japan 5 yen, Emperor Hirohito, or Showa. 340M minted, worth 6 cents in exchange value.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread