CHR, from the past to current.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'd be mad if you only found a 90 or a 40 in a box. You'd throw 40%'s back. You could build a decent collection of Bens, Walkers, or Mercs. Higher ratio of copper and wheat cents.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
40%ers were tossed back less than 10 years ago. in the past 5 years silver has been about the same except for dimes the average dropped quite a bit.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Like the others chimed in, 40%'ers were not kept. There was no market for them. You could keep them, but they would tie up your capital until you could find a buyer. They were plentiful and just weren't worth it.

Hunting just 5 years ago, I would routinely cull $40-$80 face of keepers per week of $8k searched.

Coincrazed

Aug 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Aaaah. Four years ago was when I started, in June of 2009. I was 14. In $120 in Half dollars, you would almost always find at least one 40%er, and often more. Dimes really shined. In $250 you could find 2 easily, with machine wrapped boxes giving up 3, sometimes 6 Silver Roosevelts in one. Nickels were about the same as today as they were four years ago, as are Quarters. Cents used to give up 5-10 wheats per box. Aaah, those were the good old days. How it has changed since then. Half Dollars are almost always skunks, Dimes you're lucky to get 2 per box, and Cents productivity has diminished with high copper prices and CRH pressure. Hope this paints a picture.

CC

Last edited:

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
I started hunting about 5 years ago. I kept everything but 40 s where barely worth over face. I would regularly get at least 20 keepers per box of halves. Dimes where alittle better to. They would always give up at least 2+ dimes per box

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
So what this means is 5 years from now there wont be any 40% or dimes left 0.0 :(

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I find more today than I did in 1980. Lots of roll hunters then, not to mention a recession, high unemployment, and high interest rates.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
We had no internet in 1980, I discovered roll hunting on my own. I'd been searching for silver for a few years, on a teenager's budget.
I remember all the full-page ads in the newspaper offering upwards of $40-$50 oz.
The Hunt brothers wanted pure silver, quite a different scenario driving prices back then. 40%'ers weren't in demand even at those prices.
Then everything crashed. Many personal silver hoards dumped back into the system, and silver sat in vaults for 25 or so odd years, until the value of ag rose to make it worthwhile to begin the search again.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
We had no internet in 1980, I discovered roll hunting on my own. I'd been searching for silver for a few years, on a teenager's budget.
I remember all the full-page ads in the newspaper offering upwards of $40-$50 oz.
The Hunt brothers wanted pure silver, quite a different scenario driving prices back then. 40%'ers weren't in demand even at those prices.
Then everything crashed. Many personal silver hoards dumped back into the system, and silver sat in vaults for 25 or so odd years, until the value of ag rose to make it worthwhile to begin the search again.

This. No internet. No Youtube. Very few people knew about CRH'ing, and VERY little word of mouth. I hunted when I worked at the bank, but not after I left, as it just wasn't profitable.

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
seems to me like the people that have been doing this hobby for 20+ years is its up and down. I cant see how 40% coins were worthless. Your still adding ounces of silver weather its 90% coins or 40% coins. Silver is silver as a lot of CRH say.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
seems to me like the people that have been doing this hobby for 20+ years is its up and down. I cant see how 40% coins were worthless. Your still adding ounces of silver weather its 90% coins or 40% coins. Silver is silver as a lot of CRH say.

I'll repeat again. There was no market for them.

Put it in perspective. I was 9 when I started. My father that year made $7k in salary. No one had the luxury of stacking. A coin found was either flipped for profit or saved to complete their collection. 40%'ers were indeed worthless despite their silver content. You could not sell them. Refiners wouldn't touch them and coin dealers wanted nothing to do with them.

ramjet2187

Nov 29, 2005
North Central Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT
I'll repeat again. There was no market for them.

Put it in perspective. I was 9 when I started. My father that year made $7k in salary. No one had the luxury of stacking. A coin found was either flipped for profit or saved to complete their collection. 40%'ers were indeed worthless despite their silver content. You could not sell them. Refiners wouldn't touch them and coin dealers wanted nothing to do with them.

Which means each one saved tied up $.50 of your bankroll.

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for all the feedback comments of years past. Worth reading each one. Yes things were different then.

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a really interesting/informative thread. Never would have guessed that 40%ers had no market value for so long, but I guess it makes sense - especially in the pre-internet era where it was harder to match up buyers and sellers for anything but the most commoditized markets. I don't think many people would be saving/selling copper cents today if the ebay didn't exist to match sellers up with buyers.

Overall, do people have the sense that we are currently in the last throes of this hobby, and it is going to catch on / dry up further over the next few years, to the point where the diminishing returns will cease to make it even fun (much less profitable)? Or do you think it will continue to be about the same for a while longer, as unknowledgeable people continue to unwittingly "stock our lakes" with silver and other vintage coin dumps?

I'm torn between wanting to tell people about my hobby and not wanting to kill the goose that layed the golden eggs. Even if it is laying considerably fewer than it was 5 years ago...

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whats crazy is my Grandma got me into coin roll hunting...She bought me Whitman books when i was about 10 (1989) and we would go to the bank and get bags full of coins..It was great!..I wasnt looking for silver thou..just Key Dates, and Place fillers

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
Whats crazy is my Grandma got me into coin roll hunting...She bought me Whitman books when i was about 10 (1989) and we would go to the bank and get bags full of coins..It was great!..I wasnt looking for silver thou..just Key Dates, and Place fillers

My step moms mother has a huge collection from circulation too! She won't let me buy it though :/
HH
Wicka

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm torn between wanting to tell people about my hobby and not wanting to kill the goose that layed the golden eggs. Even if it is laying considerably fewer than it was 5 years ago...

Ive said it once and ill keep saying it when ever it comes up- I aint sharing info on this hobby with no one- there are too many ways for others to find out about it and take the AG from my stacks

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since I lost over half of my 2007 numbers to a hard drive crash, I'll compare 2008 to 2013.

Denomination20082013
Wheat Cents9.27 per $25 searched13.87 per $25 searched
War Nickels0.74 per $100 searched0.56 per $100 searched
Silver Dimes1.59 per $250 searched2.64 per $250 searched
Quarters0.29 per $500 searchedN/A
Silver Halves41.33 per $500 searched2.28 per $500 searched

Note: I don't believe my 2008 half dollar numbers are representative as my minimal searches in 2008 hit a half dollar collection with 459 silver halves from a $1000 bag which was almost 75% of my yearly total. My 2013 dime totals include a nice 61 silver dime hit which skews the results higher (without that bag my 2013 dimes are at 1.45 per $250 searched.... or about the same)

To compare, my half dollars in 2009 were 11.4 per $500 searched and in 2007 (with my partial year numbers, but much higher volume) were only 10.23 per $500 searched.

My 2007 partial year dime numbers were 1.31 per $250 searched.

With the exception of half dollars which took a visible hit due to CRH pressure, I am doing about the same or maybe even a little better in most categories in 2013 than in 2008.

Also note that with the additional coins that have been minted and circulated in the last 5 years, the find rate should be expected to decrease a little.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread