Sep 8, 2006
Seattle, WA
Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are many ones out here that would fit the bill. The Whites MXT is a fair one and with the three different displays to go along with the three different modes, it may be the best for you if you are starting out. Though it will be good on coins and relics, it's only fair in most places on tiny nuggets, and hot in others.

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
There is only a couple of coin detectors that have the high frequency necessary for small nuggets. MXT, Minelab X-70(with the high frequency coil) and the Tesoro Lobo Super Traq. They all are decent but they can't match a true gold detector like the GB2 or the GMT for small gold. As there are a lot of used MXTs out there with good prices- it would be my pick. Here is a discussion of the MXT. Go to Steve Herschbach's responses a bit lower in the thread. Steve has used the MXT a lot in Alaska at Ganes Creek.
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?25,277827,277827#msg-277827

My X-5 is a combo detector too and is good for nugget shooting but they don't make them anymore(also no digital- which is kind of needed- with the MXT as an example- can determine iron versus gold by VDI responses with depth). (When will Troy come out with the X-7 which would be a good nugget/coin/relic detector?)

Actually as this is winter(at least for me) I would suggest that you wait on your Christmas present and see what will be introduced before Spring. Who knows what will be introduced? My next coin/nugget detector will be the PD1000 but unfortunately it has not been released and it is unknown when Dave will put it into production.

George

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread