Who do you ask? How do some of you go about getting permission to hunt?

zaweiss

Nov 14, 2006
Park Hills, MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
(Sorry if there are posts like this one already!)

I read every new topic in the "Today's Finds" board just about every single day. Some of these guys and gals are really tearing it up at public schools and various other places. (Congrats!)

I have a few questions

How / Where have some of you obtained permission to hunt at public parks and schools?

Do you ask strangers if you can hunt in their yards or on their property? What are their responses? (I sometimes drive through old neighborhoods and drool about what may lie buried in people's yards!)

What do most of you do if you find a site that you would like to hunt and you cannot locate the owner? (Example: an abondoned house out in the middle of nowhere)

What are some areas that most of you would consider "open game" for Metal detecting?

Any info or insight would be appreciated.

thanks!

Zach

Upvote 0

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Now, this is my Modus Operandi, but everyone has their own!
Parks: Call or visit the Parks & Recreation Office & see what the Proceedure is. Some people feel that if it's not Posted, just go ahead!
Schools: Check with the Principal of each School!
Abandoned Homes in the Boonies: I just go for it!
I find that the Homes with the perfectly manicured lawns will never give a Yes to MD! I usually wait till someone is out in the yard before asking! As opposed to going up to the door!
Open Areas: Unposted open areas outside of the City Limits.

HH Joe

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
buscadero pretty much Covered my Response.

I just want to add, Abandond homes, Not in the Deep Boonies,

Ask the closest neighbor their opinion on if they think anyone would mind, or Ask the Local Post Man If They know who to ask, or Ask a local or State (If no local Coverage) Cop if anyone would mind.

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmmmm......

Attachments

• Sneak.gif
    Sneak.gif
    18.3 KB · Views: 247
  • Sneak.gif
    Sneak.gif
    18.3 KB · Views: 252

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most public parks are OK to hunt, but you should check with city officials to make sure in your area. Buscadero about covered it well. On the schools, even when the Principal says it's OK, only do it when school is not in session or on a weekend. Realestate offices are another choice spot to ask about the homes they are selling if the home is empty.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Local parks and school yards I just get out and go. Never had a problem.

Old abandoned houses.... sometimes I go for it, sometimes I look and ask for permission.

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
buscadero said:
!
Open Areas: Unposted open areas outside of the City Limits.

HH Joe

That may be true in some areas, but don't try that in Louisiana. They passed a law this year that if you're on someone's property, regardless of "Posted" signs, and you're approached by a law official or game warden, you can no longer say "I have permission to be here." You have to show written authorization from the landowner or manager. This was to get around having to post "POSTED" signs every 50-100 feet around a piece of property. When the property is a huge acreage, that can get expensive and very time-consuming. The new way works great during hunting season, too. But I know our local sheriff lives just down the road from us and he knows everybody in the territory. If he saw someone strange on the neighboring lands, he'd stop and ask what they are doing. Now, all land in Louisiana is considered Posted from that standpoint.

'Course, it could be totally different wherever you are. -Noodle

Mike95inNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 2, 2006
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Troy Shadow X5, Minelab Musketeer Advantage
I just emailed our County Parks system yesterday about permission and what's allowed and what's not.Here's my email and their reply.

Greetings,

I'm a metal detectorist from Union Beach.I've been using my detector for the last 11 years.I was wondering if metal detecting is allowed in the woods off any of the trails? I leave no trace of my presence (ex holes,garbage etc...) I remove all garbage found on the ground and in the ground.I pretty much go for older coins and such.Anyway,any info on this would be greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance.

Mike in Union Beach

Hello,

Thank you for emailing the County Park System. Metal detecting is permitted in many County Park System parks and recreation areas, but not within 100 feet of any building, facility, garden, or activity. Recovery tools may only cause minimal disturbance to the ground, and digging may not exceed a depth of six inches. Sod must be restored to its original condition after digging. Articles found that are of apparent historical significance or apparent personal value, such as jewelry and rings, must be turned in to that park’s office, in accordance with the Park System’s Lost and Found Policy.

Now why I emailed them. I guy I ride the bus with to work told me he was out hiking the trails with his wife and came across a huge up ended tree.In the root mass and around it he saw old pottery ,old bottle remnants and in his words old looking stuff.This park used to be a huge farm many moons ago.I'm currently researching it now.So in conclusion I only had to send a email to ask.I honestly thought I would get a NO DETECTING ALLOWED answer.
Good Luck,Mike in NJ

P

popsmoke

I am pretty much fearless when it comes to asking permission. I live aound many CW battlefields most of which most is now private property. Since most of these homes are well-to-do I never go on private property unless I have permission and the owner is present at home.
I usually only stay for a few hours and dont make a pest of myself by coming back every day. But for few I revisit I ask permission each and every time.
I have never been turned down by a private property owner - and some even let me hunt their front lawns. I leave no trace and only minimally disturb the lawn where a cut was made.
I've met some very interesting folks - the most recent instance:
A home near me has a historical marker in front, is was the headquarters of a CW General. The owner, a 73 year old man talked with me for about 2 hours tell me in detail about the battles that took place on and near his property. It turns out he is a PHD of history and a CW buff, he let me hunt all his property (about 4 acres) and showed me exactly where the battles took place. I found a few mini-balls, but the conversation was even more valuable.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Z,

"(Sorry if there are posts like this one already!)"

Never hurts asking ;D

I think that it is important making contact with
the person, no letters.

So much must be considered, even things that seem so
small.

First off, the way you dress. Think color is important.
I like to wear all black, a hooded sweatshirt adds
something.

Make my approach late in the day, near dusk. Folks
may be more relaxed at that time.

I do not walk up the driveway or walkway. Usually I
go over the fence with the no tresspassing signs and
walk over the lawn.

Walk softly, dog may bark.

Do not go by the front door. Use the back door.

Do not knock on the door, gives off negative vibes.
I like to tap on a rear or side window, you should be
wearing black gloves so I normally use my digger
tapping on the window.

Just so many small things to consider.

If you do make contact :D :) ;D ;D ;D :) make sure
that they have insurance that will cover you if you are
hurt on their property. Better yet have forms with you
for them to sign, I always use the forms that say you
will get their first born, if you are hurt.

Ask for their lawyers name.

Make sure they know you are on probation and would
not do anything to break probation.

I call these my SHERMANVILLE TIPS, or ST for short.

After I give folks these tips, so many say,
"Thanks for all the ST you gave me."

Hope you can use them.
;)
have a good un...........

T

TheDetectorist

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS said:
I call these my SHERMANVILLE TIPS, or ST for short.

Hope you can use them.
;)
have a good un...........

So that makes THIS a Shermanville Tips Discussion? Thanks for giving us all an STD! :D

TD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread