Cibola or CZ-3D

sandnsea49

Jan 16, 2005
Temperance, MI summer-Sarasota, FL winter
Detector(s) used
Etrac, XP Deus, Excalibur 1000, Whites Dual Field PI, Makro Multi Kruzer
Hi,
I currently own a Minelab Explorer XS and an Excalibur 1000 and like them very well. I have a White's XLT collecting dust since owning the MInelab's. However, I have been hearing things about the Cibola and or the CZ-3D. Anyone have any input? I tried all the metal detector review sites. I am more confused than ever. I was going with the 3D but now am wondering about the Cibola. Help a guy out would ya?

Upvote 0

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida
From what I hear the minelab explorer and the excaliber 1000 are top-of-the line machines! The Whites XLT ain't shabby either! My advice is to get out there and hunt! The best detector is no match for experience and time in the field! Good Luck! HH omnicognic 8)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to agree, IF you'r trying to find something to out Preform the Explorer XS, I don't think it Exists. If you'r looking for Simplicity, & Power the Excalibur 1000 got that covered.

If your Looking for something Light and don't mind the sacrifice of some finds. then look at other detectors

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
I have to agree with everyone else. You already have a excellent high end machine the Explorer XS. Now my issue with the Explorer 11 was it's weight and poorly balanced design. If this is really an issue with you try a body harness that will take the weight off. There also is a learning curve with the Explorers(Why the Quattro was introduced- I guess)

The Cibola is used? to coin shoot but it has a greater following in relic hunting and is more of a turn on and go machine. For the money it is tough to beat the Cibola which is only $340. The CZ -3D is more expensive and has more features. Likewise, it has a greater learning curve and is tweaked more to coin hunting(particularly old coin areas). As the Cibola has preset ground balance if you have severe ground mineralization you are at a disadvantage as you need manual ground balance. Both are excellent machines for coin/relic but you already have two excellent Minelab machines.

George

OP
OP
S

sandnsea49

Jan 16, 2005
Temperance, MI summer-Sarasota, FL winter
Detector(s) used
Etrac, XP Deus, Excalibur 1000, Whites Dual Field PI, Makro Multi Kruzer
Thank George,
I have been detecting for about 15 years and have used an XLT until I acquired the Minelabs so I know how to use learning curve machines. I just wanted something the Minelabs were missing(is that possible?). According to some reviews the CZ-3D can do that by giving higher tones to nickels and cents. So i was considering it a another way to hit the cleaned out parks around here.

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
What old coinage is left after all those decades of detecting in old parks? Well the majority will be very deep coins and coins which are masked by trash.
One tactic? employed by one individual I know of is to simply remove ALL the iron trash in a set area- the trashier the better. A time consuming effort for sure but by removing the trash you will detect all the coins which have been masked by this trash. As this individual claims to be recovering seated coinage by this method in an old "hunted out" park, perhap a change in tactics and not detectors is the way to go.

Just my two cents
George

R

rvbvetter

Sandnsea; I hear what your saying. Though my exp 2 has amazed me, i'm lacking in nickle finds. I've pulled up every tab known to man, trying to get a nickle. But to no avail. Had this machine 3 weeks now. I assume you checked www.metaldetectorreviews.net I nearly bought the cibola before deciding on the exp 2. Good luck HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread