image-3170785869.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Well, it is not a tintype. It might not even have been created during the Civil War era. The up-close photo with the ruler shows evidence of foxing indicating a paper medium. The depiction of the soldier indeed looks to be of a Civil War soldier with camp background, but it could have been created much later. I would expect to see further foxing on the paper if it was indeed done during the Civil War. That being said, it looks to be a pencil on paper drawing with very nice detail.

OP
OP
NWpickin

NWpickin

Aug 27, 2014
Seattle, WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply. Is there any way to find out for sure what it is?

Regardless it's pretty cool. I found it in the basement in a trash bag and the frame was all busted up... Just glad to save it and not have it end up in the trash.

geologyjohn

Mar 18, 2009
West edge of the U.S.
Detector(s) used
WW2 mine detector, D-Tex Standard, D-Tex Deluxe, A.H. Pro Discriminator, various Whites, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher 1270, Fisher F75, Fisher Gold Bug,Tesoro Sand Shark. And maybe others that I forgot?
Charcoal portrait of a Federal critter boy, copied from a photograph. I know a guy who has been picking these up for years at Civil War shows.

OP
OP
NWpickin

NWpickin

Aug 27, 2014
Seattle, WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I'm guessing since it's a charcoal drawing it was probably a early way of reproducing it .... 1880's? Does the foxing effect the value/desirability?

geologyjohn

Mar 18, 2009
West edge of the U.S.
Detector(s) used
WW2 mine detector, D-Tex Standard, D-Tex Deluxe, A.H. Pro Discriminator, various Whites, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher 1270, Fisher F75, Fisher Gold Bug,Tesoro Sand Shark. And maybe others that I forgot?
Yeah, I would think that it is post war. I know charcoal portraits rendered from earlier photographs were popular in the 1880's. A way of taking a small photograph and turning it into something that could be hung on the wall for others to enjoy. But maybe charcoal portraits were also popular prior to the 1880's?
Foxing would hurt the value.

OP
OP
NWpickin

NWpickin

Aug 27, 2014
Seattle, WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thinking of making a larger charcoal drawing of the image...... A charcoal of a charcoal of a picture.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread