madmac28

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2017
Williamsburg Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found these rounds in my back yard and I’m not sure if they are from the civil or revolutionary war. Can anyone identify them for me? B23D3E66-B4D5-45FE-B681-9CAB1E0117B2.jpeg

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not the 'bullet person,' but the top row looks like impacted 3-Ring Minis from the Civil War and the bottom row looks like Round Balls.

Neat find :)
Breezie

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
All six of your finds are from the civil war. The cylindrical ones are yankee 3-groove Minie bullets, fired ones showing impact damage from hitting the ground or trees. The miss-sharpened lead balls are not musket balls, they are anti-personnel balls from an exploded artillery shell (called "Case-Shot" balls). Neither the Minie bullets nor the Case-Shot balls existed during the Revolutionary War.

A little more detailed ID-info:
One of the lead balls shows a small projecting round disc with a tiny raised straight ridge across its center. That is a casting-mold sprue, which got partly snipped off but not completely removed. There's no need to completely remove it from a Case-Shot ball, but the projecting sprue MUST be removed from a musketball, lest it cause the ball to get jammed partway down the gunbarrel during loading.

Upvote 0

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Really wish I had stuff like that in my back yard

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread