Civil War 2 Piece Buckle? and tons of other goodies

john37115

Nov 8, 2007
Tennessee, USA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F75, Nautilus dmc IIb, Custom Soveriegn, Pro XL, Classic IV, IDX, Compass Gold Scanner Pro
Civil War 2 Piece Buckle? and ton's of other goodies

I got permission to hunt a property yesterday and made it out to hunt it today. I almost didn't hunt it when I got there and looked around. The yard had been bulldozed up into a pile and there was so much trash I sat in the Jeep for about 5 minutes just looking at the dozed up trash pile that stood 20 feet high thinking I'll never find anything here. I then thought well maybe just maybe they got most of the surface trash and I can find some spots that are huntable. Well I right away started finding wheat pennies and silver dimes laying right on top of the ground. I thought OK I'll stay for this.
I put on the small coil and went to work. I started noticing tons of blue feather edged china and eyeballed a couple of the old oyster shell buttons and I'm thinking wait a minute there was something here much older than the present house that looks to have been built in the 1930's. I wound up digging all kinds of cool relics. Within one hour I had found the buckle laying on top the ground and surrounded by junk like rusty cans, aluminum pie plates and mason jar lids. I was thinking this buckle is very old and I have never seen one just like it. HMMMM? I do know that the headquarters for Confederate Captain John Morgan was within 150 yards from where I was hunting.
I kept on digging tons of trash and a few more relics. Then low an behold I eyeballed the keeper for the buckle again laying partially exposed. Now I am not sure this buckle and keeper is Civil war era but it's old and I can't think what else it could be....
I found the triangle shaped adornment with the two crossed feathers on the front. By the inscription on the back I would think maybe Masonic emblem or something. If anyone has a clue let me know.
By the way I am not picturing the coins (3 mercury dimes, 11 wheat pennies and 2 buffalo nickels) I found as I feel the relics far overshadowed the coins LOL
I wish every hunt could equal the excitement I had today and at a place that I thought was far too trashy to hunt and ALMOST left and went somewhere else.

Attachments

• IMG_2262.JPG
    IMG_2262.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 690
  • IMG_2263.JPG
    IMG_2263.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 693
  • IMG_2264.JPG
    IMG_2264.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 679
  • IMG_2265.JPG
    IMG_2265.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 680
  • IMG_2271.JPG
    IMG_2271.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 678
  • IMG_2274.JPG
    IMG_2274.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 683
  • IMG_2275.JPG
    IMG_2275.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 665
  • IMG_2277.JPG
    IMG_2277.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 670
  • IMG_2278.JPG
    IMG_2278.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 660
  • IMG_2280.JPG
    IMG_2280.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 667
  • IMG_2281.JPG
    IMG_2281.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 660
  • IMG_2293.JPG
    IMG_2293.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 673
Upvote 0

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Civil War 2 Piece Buckle? and ton's of other goodies

Hey John. Your one buckle at the right side top is a modern web belt buckle. I wore one of those throughout my military career. Looks like you have found a good place. Maybe the hard part is done for you. Are they tearing this place down?? I'd hit it hard again. Looks like it might be old, but how old I don't know. WTG on a successful hunt

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

You have some interesting finds, I am sure there is plenty more on that site.

slomoe

Dec 24, 2008
Baltimore, Md.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hello john37115, cool finds. I think the triangle thing might be a early symbol associated with The Knights of Pythias. I'm going by the 3 letters on the reverse F for Friendship, C for Charity and B for Benevolence. The Knights of Pythias organization was started in 1864 in Washington DC to help heal the Nation. I once dug a button of the Uniformed Rank of the Knights of Pythias. The Knights of Pythias have a web site at www.pythias.org
I like what you said about Morgan's Camp. I have been reading War of The Rebellion Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies Series I Vol. 16 part I reports operations in Kentucky, Middle and East Tennessee, North Alabama, and Southwest Virginia, June 10 - October 31 1862 Morgan's 1st Kentucky Raid, Perryville Campaign. I live in Baltimore Maryland and I do get to Roane County Tennessee at least twice a year. Maybe you could suggest some areas to MD. Hey hit that Bulldozed area good and hard. I did a place that was bulldozed and found a 1834 Large Cent. More Good Finds to you. :coffee2: Slomoe

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

John,
Very nice variety of relics. Way to go. :thumbsup:
-MM-

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is a nice assortment of relics and what appears to be a toy derringer. That site surely contains a good deal of history and I would visit that sight again in a heartbeat.

Marty-Graw

Feb 8, 2006
Albertville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300

i don't know what that buckle is but I dug one identical to it in my yard a couple years ago

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Really nice selection of relics that are in great shape! Congrats.Hogge :headbang:

WeaponsUSMC

Jul 26, 2005
Findlay Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites M6

Nice finds, in your second picture, not sure what it is, but I found one exactly like it, always thought it was the back to a pocket watch.

fbjr

Apr 13, 2007
Elmira, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030/Minelab e-trac/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have the same cap gun. I was told they were attached to a belt buckle and shot little corks. It was on a list for the most dangerous kids toys LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread