Civil War action near Pattonsburg Mo

S

sdowning

Anyone know of any Civil War actions near Pattonsburg, particularly west of there. My folks have some land between Pattonsburg and King City and there is a very unique land feature that resembles a trench. It faces north overlooking about 40 acres of open land with a bluff to the rear. It is about 50 yards long and about 12 feet wide. It appears to be manmade and is rather odd. I know of some Missouri raiders that were in the area during the Civil War but have never been able to narrow down anything. If I get the chance maybe someday I will run a metal detector over the area. Any help or research suggestions would be appreciated.

Boilermaker27

Oct 16, 2003
St. Louis
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon/Minelab Safari/Minelab Excalibur2
I seriously doubt if the trench is civil war. Not many trenches were dug in Missouri. Some down by Crowley's Ridge. There is nothing at all in the Official Records mentioning either of the towns you mentioned. The Official Records of the War of the Rebellion are all the records from the Civil War. Have no idea what it could be. I don't think anyone would dig a trench with a bluff in the rear because there would be nowhere to go in a retreat. I hunt civil war all over Missouri and you are in a good area. Lots of action near Kansas City.

dkw

Jul 8, 2006
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Deleon, Ace 250
Sounds kind of like an old silo.

dkw

Jul 8, 2006
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Deleon, Ace 250
Kind of unrelated but some of the scenes in "Ride With The Devil" were filmed in the Pattonsburg area. Might be able to find some "new" relics.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread