Civil War Awesome Day!

Poptopagain

Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's E Serries & Etrac
Today I started detecting at a Western Maryland 1850c homestead and ended up finding an area where Union soldiers must have stayed. I found a button that a friend and I identified as a New York Militia (But I am open to suggestions), Lead pieces, a bullet (Unknown type with a solid end), a brass buckle, grommet, and a flat piece of brass with a hole in it.

I would love to know what this is! The hole is exactly the same size as the bullet so my son thought it might be some kind of gauging tool. It has the patent number on it along with the date. 1849.

Also How should I clean the button. I tried using a toothbrush and soapy water, but if anyone has a technique I would love to try it.

Attachments

• DSC_0086.JPG
    DSC_0086.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 782
  • DSC_0090.JPG
    DSC_0090.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 778
  • DSC_0088.JPG
    DSC_0088.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 784
  • DSC_0089.JPG
    DSC_0089.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 787
  • DSC_0092.JPG
    DSC_0092.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 793
  • DSC_0083.JPG
    DSC_0083.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 781
  • DSC_0084.JPG
    DSC_0084.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 786
  • DSC_0074.JPG
    DSC_0074.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 776
Upvote 0

FatCat

Aug 28, 2009
HUNTSVILLE Alabama
Detector(s) used
ACE250 w. 10x14'' DD and Lots of research
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, Hope to see more from the site.

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like you hit the jackpot. Nice finds. HH.....

WeaponsUSMC

Jul 26, 2005
Findlay Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Great finds. Your button is a NY state seal button, besides the normal general service button, this would be the most found button out there. Your bullet is a sharps carbine MM# 43 and TT# 113, also a nice haversack button. I would say you have found a nice Civil War camp site, Great finds HH......Bill

Jimmy D

Jul 10, 2007
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Quattro, Minelab X-Terra 70
Now thats a day to be happy with.......nice to see your are doing something better with your time than coming up with artwork. WTG on the awesome finds man!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :notworthy:

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great finds Pop. I believe your brass piece is sewing machine related (patent plate). Howe we know of already if it is the same Howe, but Wright is more obscure, and may be Lemuel Wright. (there was a Wright and Howe associated with pin making before the sewing machine was patented) The Bradshaw patent of Nov 28 1849 is also sewing machine related.

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
Is that gold gilt I see on that button under the dirt ? If there is gilt, you can use aluminum jelly to clean that button up very nicely. I haven't found too many places that sell it. If you send me a PM, I will give you a person to check to see if he has anymore in stock.

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
absolutely awsome.

Elliott Ness

Dec 1, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
E-Trac / Garett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some nice finds Mike. I would love to know what that bent thingy belongs to. Good job brother. :icon_thumright:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gribnitz said:
Is that gold gilt I see on that button under the dirt ? If there is gilt, you can use aluminum jelly to clean that button up very nicely. I haven't found too many places that sell it. If you send me a PM, I will give you a person to check to see if he has anymore in stock.

If there is any gilt left on there it isn't much. I would use peroxide as a first step to clean the remaining crud, then go from there. It's safer than jumping right to something harsh for what in my opinion is only a slight chance to catch a little gilt as a best case scenario.

OP
OP
Poptopagain

Poptopagain

Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's E Serries & Etrac
Thanks for all of the info. Very helpfull! I'll keep trying to pull something up on the sewing machine patent.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Gribnitz said:

If there is any gilt left on there it isn't much. I would use peroxide as a first step to clean the remaining crud, then go from there. It's safer than jumping right to something harsh for what in my opinion is only a slight chance to catch a little gilt as a best case scenario.

agreed, cleaning this one could lose detail

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions