Civil War Battle Ring

RockyDig

May 9, 2005
Winchester, VA
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, GPX4500, AT Pro, F75 LTD, DFX, MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I will soon be posting pics of a gold ring that a relative of mine owns. It is a gold ring with 16 battle names etched in it. The ring was featured in the North South Trader Civil War magazine in the mid 80's and then was voted Find of the Century by the subscribers around the year 2000. It has only been displayed at 2 or 3 relic shows. The last one was the Northern Virginia Relics Hunters show in Chantilly, VA in 2002. There were some great reactions by the public.

Anyway, I was excited for the chance to have photos taken of this and I will share them as soon as possible.

Upvote 3

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
OP
OP
RockyDig

RockyDig

May 9, 2005
Winchester, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If these ring pics don't get you out detecting...nothing will.

tradderran

Mar 23, 2007
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Skrimpy said:
{Sentinel} said:
Yeah welcome to the club. My family and all their estate and belongings were totally wiped out by Sherman and his hellish legions. My family had quite an estate before the war with about 100 acres....ALL BURNED AND DESTROYED by marauding rogue invaders. I have a picture of my family at the turn of the 20th century (1901) and they are in shambles living in a shack! This was the legacy that Sherman and his "scorched earth" policy left my family!

I had an uncle in the 178th. They were in the south although I do not know if they were ever under Sherman. If it makes you feel any better, my family lived in shacks and subsistence farmed before the war and lived in shacks and subsistence farmed after the war too. Including the uncle. This is true with most of the soldiers. It was aweful. That war should never have happened. The CS should have just given up the slaves in favor of servants. There would have been no loss of life and nobody would have come out of the 19th century with a bloody nose and axe to grind.
jfyi The war was not about slaves. It was about States rights. And save your Confederatemoney the South will rise again And yes I and my family still fly the stars and bares every day. And will continue to do so. Until we and our decedents are dust.
God save Texas and God save the South

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
What do you think States Rights was about? The right to determine if they were a slave state or not. Read the articles of secession again. SLAVERY is sited as a major reason for secesion in every single one. That being said, it was alone not about slavery. Read the rest of my posts. Anyone who thinks that it was "about slavery", or slavery alone is a fool, and anyone that thinks that "States Rights", didn't include the right to determine whether or not they were a slave state is a fool. It was about economics, as every war is. The rich in the south couldn't stay rich without slaves, and the rich in the north couldnt stay rich without taxing the rich in the south...
In addition, slavery was an issue from the inception of the constitution. The word was altogether avoided in the constitution for fear that states that wanted slavery wouldn't join. The missouri compromise, the kansas nebraska act, the border wars were all about what? New states joining the union having "the right" to determine if they were a SLAVE state or not. No the war wasn't about slavery. I agree 100%, but if it weren't for the institution, the fighting wouldn't have happened, and it was certainly an issue that the rich few politicians in the south argued was the reason for secesion.

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes when you see how our government has been since the 1800's and look at it today. Does anyone ever think "what if" the South would have won. Does anyone think that the Southern Government would screw the United States people like the Union has been doing for the past 100+ years?

Just a thought.

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Of course they would have! The federal govt was doing to everyone, and had the South won they would have continued to do it. Doesn't matter, North, South. Only two things in life are certain, death and taxes.

OP
OP
RockyDig

RockyDig

May 9, 2005
Winchester, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I like to bump this once in a while so new members get a chance to see it.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW that would be an awesome find there.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RockyDig said:
I like to bump this once in a while so new members get a chance to see it.

Thanks for giving it a bump, that is surely a one of a kind ring. :icon_thumleft: I can imagine the stories it could tell if it had a voice, covering several major engagements during the Civil War.

Firelock

Aug 1, 2005
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
In a much earlier post, it was asked why "Fredericksburg" appears twice.

In some instances, although rarely, the Battle of Chancellorsville was also referred to as Second Fredericksburg - just like First Manassas and Second Manassas. The "first" Fredericksburg Campaign was in mid-December 1862. Following the battle, the Army of the Potomac and the Army of Northern Virginia established winter quarters only a few miles apart on opposite sides of the Rappahannock River. The first major engagement in the spring, during the first week of May 1863, was that usually called Chancellorsville, located just a few miles west of Fredericksburg.

The use of "2d Fredericksburg" appears painted/stenciled on one or more surviving Confederate battle flags.

Sincerely,

Bob McDonald

rsr242000

Aug 8, 2010
Winchester,VA
That is the kind of find we can only dream of. Being new to the world of relic hunting has its advantages, finding bullets in the dirt is like Christmas day everytime! Thanks Rock.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
"If the wealthy had sucked it up and got their own hands dirty so many Americans would not have died."

Same thing today My Friend. If George Bush had to send his own kin to Iraq, the war would have never Happened. MONEY!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread