CIVIL WAR BUCKLE

John Boy

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD CAMOUFLAGE,CZ3D 1021,1220X AND GARRETT PRO POINTER.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike O'Donnell from American digger magazine emailed me today and this is what he told me.

It is from the Civil War period. Possibly dates as far back as 1850. Most likely a letter or number was applied to the center for a militia company. Also possible, but less likely, it had a unit emblem or even a state seal applied to the center. The overall design seems to be patterned after the U.S. Army’s 1840 two-piece US artillery plate. In that case, it would have had a plain wreath. Nice find!

I dug this up a few days ago in north Georgia. I believe its part of an officer's two piece buckle.Its got two holes in it where maybe an faceplate went or maybe something else.Maybe with alot of luck i can find the rest of it.Any ideals will be aprichiated. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20120906_192251.jpg
    IMG_20120906_192251.jpg
    619.1 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_20120906_192302.jpg
    IMG_20120906_192302.jpg
    629.6 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Upvote 1

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep, half of a tongue and wreath buckle. unfortunately, I don't know enough about them to tell if it's US or CS but I'm sure someone here can tell you for sure. very cool find!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find John Boy. Welcome to t-net. I am sure some of these buckle guys will chime in. You must have hunted after that big rain we had. Nice un.
HH
TnMtns

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
Not sure of it's age but the holes were for an attachment that was applied to the buckle. It is a tongue for a tongue and wreath buckle, no doubt. Maybe someone with more knowledge can help. Tennessee digger

OP
OP
John Boy

John Boy

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure of it's age but the holes were for an attachment that was applied to the buckle. It is a tongue for a tongue and wreath buckle, no doubt. Maybe someone with more knowledge can help. Tennessee digger

Thanks.It was standing straight up about 8 inchs down.Been trying to find the rest of it,hopefully its close by.

ynpto804

Jan 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Sun-ray X-5 coil and X-1 Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a nice buckle, but with out finding the front you may never know who wore it. I have seen that same applied style with many different attachments. Best advice is kieep looking.

OP
OP
John Boy

John Boy

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a nice buckle, but with out finding the front you may never know who wore it. I have seen that same applied style with many different attachments. Best advice is kieep looking.
Thanks I've been digging the ground up like a dog on crack.maybe something will turn up.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not necessarily an Officers or even Military.Cast and stamped brass Tongue and Wreath buckles were very popular Pre C.W..Yours is Cast Brass,and although there is a wide range of English Made Stamped brass tongues with a center piece attachment,I off the top of my head cant place one cast like yours.Great piece!

OP
OP
John Boy

John Boy

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not necessarily an Officers or even Military.Cast and stamped brass Tongue and Wreath buckles were very popular Pre C.W..Yours is Cast Brass,and although there is a wide range of English Made Stamped brass tongues with a center piece attachment,I off the top of my head cant place one cast like yours.Great piece!
Thanks,good to know. I've found several civil war relics at the same site.Still trying to find the remains of it if possible. Thanks

OP
OP
John Boy

John Boy

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find John Boy. Welcome to t-net. I am sure some of these buckle guys will chime in. You must have hunted after that big rain we had. Nice un.
HH
TnMtns

Hey thanks for the welcome. yeah rain helps a lot in that hard ground.Thanks buddy

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks,good to know. I've found several civil war relics at the same site.Still trying to find the remains of it if possible. Thanks

...thats where provenance comes into play...it could be a Officers,or it could be a Soldiers issue,or a soldiers privately acquired piece?I look through the books tonight

OP
OP
John Boy

John Boy

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...thats where provenance comes into play...it could be a Officers,or it could be a Soldiers issue,or a soldiers privately acquired piece?I look through the books tonight

Thanks for the help Kuger.yes I agree you never really know.Thought about taking it to a few of the civil wars dealers around here and see what they say about it.Thanks

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat find John Boy, Where you at in N.Ga.? I'm in Dalton.

OP
OP
John Boy

John Boy

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat find John Boy, Where you at in N.Ga.? I'm in Dalton.
Hey Greg not far away from ya just a rock throw,well maybe if ya had a good arm on ya.I'm in Murray county.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well,I have went through every major buckle book I own,and cant find an exact match.I t shares similarities with several,one being an early Riflemans buckle,also a common buckle we find that is patterned off of the 1841 Army(of course that one featured an Eagle and 27 Stars)but there are a few differences in each.The major one yours has that I can find no ther buckle with is the attachement holes.Possibly that was an "aftermarket",mod?I dunno?None the less thats a great and Unique find

OP
OP
John Boy

John Boy

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well,I have went through every major buckle book I own,and cant find an exact match.I t shares similarities with several,one being an early Riflemans buckle,also a common buckle we find that is patterned off of the 1841 Army(of course that one featured an Eagle and 27 Stars)but there are a few differences in each.The major one yours has that I can find no ther buckle with is the attachement holes.Possibly that was an "aftermarket",mod?I dunno?None the less thats a great and Unique find

Thanks kuger for all the research and information you've done.I really appreciate it. Thanks

OP
OP
John Boy

John Boy

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for all the help.

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Sweet find:headbang:

Definately need to do some more research to ID it..Post it in the what is it section..

The suspense would be eating me and i would need to know:laughing9:

Blaze

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread