Civil War camp dug RR lock

spaintime

Jul 18, 2005
I recently found this brass RR lock in a CW camp that wasn't within 3-4 miles of a RR.It has C & A RR on the latch with an S on the back.The dust cover has Union Brass MFG.Co. Chicago on it all which look hand stamped.I googled on it and came up with memoires of 3 different POWs from TN that were take on the Chicago and Alton RR to Camp Douglass which was 1 mile from Chicago's depot.I also found where there were many Illinois light artillery batteries that were involved in the Battle of Nashville.There were many artillery frags found within 500 yards of where the lock was found.If anyone can add anything to this or have a good estimate of its worth to a RR or even a CW collector feel free to add to this.Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• lock 001.jpg
    lock 001.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 1,001
Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Lock Spaintime.

Congrats !

Jeff

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent find!

HH

Lonewolfe

B

Bo Hott

Nice find, I found the front piece of a lock just like that in a Confederate camp a couple of miles from the R.R. also. Later research led me to believe the group of guerilla's had robbed the train just as it left Decatur, Al and shot the lock off at their camp.Congratulations on your find.l

rabajohn

Aug 10, 2005
Woodlawn, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 & ole Tesoro Silver Sabre
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a KCS RR lock in the woods years ago and sold it on eBay 3 months ago for $1500. I was able to get my Ace 250 and start an eBay savings account. I don't miss the lock as much as I like my Ace 250. I just wish I would have found about a dozen more locks out there.

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great relic!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread